Thread: Subframe opinions

Subframe opinions

Well ladies and gents as we know in SW PA winter is approaching and the cars are tucked away. But a few months ago i picked up an 03 Cobra Convertible in stock form. My first order of business is to stiffen up the chassis. Ive explored various forums in search of some information on full length subframe connectors vs. the "matirx" or "web" style from stifflers and global west. So my question to you is this. Do you feel a full length subframe connector is sufficient or for a convertible do you thinke the "web" or "matrix" style would work. Those are the only 2 styles im considering and i would like to avoid the through the floor sub frames are the way to go debate. Appreciate any input or information from anyone that has used either style. Thank you and happy holidays.

Ben

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Well, the convertible already has some additional subframe bracing, but I am not sure on how much, and it's definitely recommended to add aftermarket SFC's. Many people like the Steeda weld-in frames, and they seem to be of great fit and finish (I have those on my car).

My buddy Matt (matt99 on here) has the Kenny Brown Subframes with the matrix and jack rails, and the car is definitely rigid. I think it's just a matter of how stiff of a chassis you want. When you combine that much stiffening with lowering the car, it's going to be a rattler for sure.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

I'll speak for CobraVertWV since he's not on here very often, but I installed LMM full length subframe connectors on his and it made a big difference.
    They are bare steel, so a trick I do is to clean them up well and spray on some Rustoleum grill paint before welding them. This bakes the paint on during welding for a very durable finish.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

I have global west with the seat tie-ins on my '95 and I had MM on my '94 cobra. Both are nice, but I like the global west better. The GW offer much more ground clearance than the mm ones.
    -Paul

1995 GT 'vert
    Best times on old 302 combo:
    12.03 at 112.5mph NA
    Best time with 9:1 compression NA dart block 331 setup:
    11.50 at 121mph
    Dyno'd: 415rwhp/410rwtq

2004 Z16 commemorative edition Z06
    100% stock: 11.9 at 118mph

Appreciate the feedback every one. I have some time to consider, I do want a relatively rigid frame. I'd like to hammer on the car a few times a year be it at the strip or auto cross. So I would like a solid foundation to start and that may support my future upgrades.