Thread: WTB: Misc. golf clubs/drivers/woods

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar

WTB: Misc. golf clubs/drivers/woods

Hey all, I just got a set of irons from my g/f's dad, so I am looking to piece together the rest of the kit.

Here's what I need (right handed):

Driver - Don't really know what is best, probably like a 9.5 or 10.5
    Woods - Probably a 3w and 5w, maybe if I can find some rescue clubs cheap even.
    Putter - Doesn't matter much to me what kind.
    Bag

Is there anywhere in the Pittsburgh area to buy used stuff aside from a pro-shop? There used to be 2nd Swing Golf in Robinson but has since closed up.

Let me know if you guys maybe got some new gear and you wanna dump off some stuff, and shoot me some prices.

Thanks!

Dan
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Dan - if you're new to golf, you should probably stay away from stiff shafts. Lots of the drivers/woods you find on craigslist will have stiff shafts and are being sold for that reason. Beginners / average golfers will usually struggle with stiff shafts. For now, look for Regular flex shafts.

Good luck, and keep your head down! And watch Caddyshack...lots of good tips in there...
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Yeah I noticed the different ones. I have regular flex graphite shaft irons, so will probably look for the same. I've been on the links a few times so I'm decent with the golf, but by all means I am a hacker.

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

See, before you go ruling out stiff shafts, you need to determine if stiff shafts will actually be BETTER for you... regardless of how novice or avid of a golfer you are, you need to match the shafts in your clubs to your swing style, angle of attack and speed... As a novice, its probably not best to go and get a fitting to tell you all of this, but it is smart to be armed with something "close"... otherwise, you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot....

Even novice golfers may require a stiff shafted club... if you have enough club-head speed, you're going to need that extra stiffness... if the shaft is too flexible, a couple things can happen - 1.) youll start pushign everythign to the right... if your swing doesn't already promote a fade, the wrong clubs will turn that into a major slice... 2.) you'll get extremely inconsistent distance and ball flight... one time you'll hit a club 110 yards and 4 miles high, and the next time it'll go 150 and look good...

Alot can go wrong with having shafts that are too stiff as well, but usually the results aren't as catastrophic... you'll yank more balls to the left, and most likely the club just wont' feel right... it'll feel dead, like you're swinging a tree branch at the ball...

Best way to determine where you need to be is try to get some practice in and get into a rythm... remember, many of us have very nice, technically correct swings (i say us because i've spent a lot of time refining my golf swing) ... but there are plenty of professionals with really wacked up swings.... whatever you do, you need to be consistent ... improvements can be made to a swing, but if its so uncomfortable that you'll never get used to it, you need to go with adjustments to clubs.... Back to what i was saying though - get into a rythm and go to Dicks... take some swings on one of the monitors and they will be able to give you an idea as to your clubhead speed... from here, they'll be able to tell you if you need a regular flex, uniflex, stiff, etc... they'll also be able to tell you if graphite or steel shafts are better....

Granted, you might not care about any of this if you dont' care about whether you're going to get better... but there's a lot of technology in golf, and if you are armed correctly, you'll play much better and improve much faster...

I will take a look around in my garage attic... i have TONS of old stuff from when i was a teenager... I also have a spectacular set of Cleveland CG-4 Tour irons... but my bro wants to try them out, so i can't go giving them away yet.... I used them up thru this past season - i've now bought a new set of TaylorMade blades....

I can't use anything short of a x-stiff, low trajectory shaft in any of my clubs or i will balloon everything...
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari
    - bolt-ons, tune, lots of carbon fiber (642/671 rwhp/tq)

I hear ya Bish - and you're right. Just saying that the great majority of guys new to the game should start with regular flex shafts. Having high clubhead speed and learning to swing properly are two different things. All the guys new to the game that I've seen - the ones that have a lot of clubhead speed - should slow it down and work on getting solid fundamentals that will lead to a better swing that will in turn generate "good" clubhead speed. I tell guys to watch Freddy Couples' tempo and go from there. Granted, he has great clubhead speed...but when you watch him his swing looks SOOOOOO easy and smooth.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

^^^ Thanks for all of the insight... This may be something I explore as I get more into it golf, but this past summer was the first year I've played in about 5-6 years, so I'm really just looking for some stuff to get back into it. I think as I play more I will discover what works and what doesn't. I've never swung with graphite shafts, so I'll need to get used to them. I try and liken it to hockey and similar dynamics and that's what I apply to my golf game. The main thing I worked on in the beginning is consistency in my form and swing, even if I didn't get a whole lot on my shots. As I have improved there I have worked on improving my club speed and overall swing.

At this point in time, I am just looking for some cheap stuff that people no longer use then, when the time comes, I can decide if it's good for moving up or if I should sell or trade for different stuff. I am hesitant to spend a lot of dough and get fitted or mess with the "right" set of clubs when I feel it may be very easy that I can fall back into a couple year absence from playing.

Alright - I took a quick look at what i had in my attic... I have a whole set of John Daly clubs - they're just cheap Walmart set that i had back in college when i wasn't serious at all about playing.... Driver is an oversize 460cc driver ... driver and woods have "firm" flex shafts on them... that would be somewhere between a regular and a stiff flex.. imho, they're pretty flexible.... I can't hardly take a 1/2 swing, or they flex too much...

If you're ever in the area, you're more than welcome to the entire set... free of charge... i have a bag that they're in, but its nothing i'd personally want to be see on a golf course with... lol.. its pretty old and stupid looking.... However, i'm thinking of buying a new bag this year, and if i find one, i'd sell my current one, which is pretty nice
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari
    - bolt-ons, tune, lots of carbon fiber (642/671 rwhp/tq)

John Daly is awesome! Anyone who can get wasted drinking all night then wake up and shoot even par on a PGA course has some SERIOUS game!! Try walking 18 holes in 85 degree heat with a mammoth hangover and you'll see what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBish View Post
    Alright - I took a quick look at what i had in my attic... I have a whole set of John Daly clubs - they're just cheap Walmart set that i had back in college when i wasn't serious at all about playing.... Driver is an oversize 460cc driver ... driver and woods have "firm" flex shafts on them... that would be somewhere between a regular and a stiff flex.. imho, they're pretty flexible.... I can't hardly take a 1/2 swing, or they flex too much...

If you're ever in the area, you're more than welcome to the entire set... free of charge... i have a bag that they're in, but its nothing i'd personally want to be see on a golf course with... lol.. its pretty old and stupid looking.... However, i'm thinking of buying a new bag this year, and if i find one, i'd sell my current one, which is pretty nice
    Cool thanks I appreciate it, I'll take you up on the offer if you wanna clear them out of the attic. I'm not out in Beaver too often unless I'm cruising somewhere, but I can get ahold of you when the time comes!

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    John Daly is awesome! Anyone who can get wasted drinking all night then wake up and shoot even par on a PGA course has some SERIOUS game!! Try walking 18 holes in 85 degree heat with a mammoth hangover and you'll see what I mean!
    Yes that is pretty rough, which is why you need a little hair of the dog on the course!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminated View Post
    Yes that is pretty rough, which is why you need a little hair of the dog on the course!
    Yep - my father-in-law carries a flask of "snake-bite" medicine with him at all times on the course. It is amazing how many snakes he sees while we're golfing...he takes a precautionary swig every time he sees one..."

I just noticed this thread now. I have a lot of misc. golf clubs and a nice bag if you are still looking for anything.
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT
    2004 GT- Bolt ons - SOLD
    Leetsdale Fire Department- Station 309

Quote Originally Posted by 40thGT View Post
    I just noticed this thread now. I have a lot of misc. golf clubs and a nice bag if you are still looking for anything.
    I am still looking, PM me with what you got and what kinda prices.

Pm sent
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT
    2004 GT- Bolt ons - SOLD
    Leetsdale Fire Department- Station 309