Thread: Merkur Transmission

Merkur Transmission

I know its not exactly a traditional mustang question but it was a ford vehicle so i thought id ask. Need to know how bad of a deal it would be for me to install an AOD trans in place of the C3? Sorry if i sound stupid but my friend has one and her trani is shot and she wanted to know but wouldnt ask, and i happen to be looking to sell my trans.

What Merkur? XR4Ti or Scorpio??

ASSUMING Xr4Ti, the only other options are to go to an A4LD or C4 ...

Issues with both swaps, the A4LD needs a computer for overdrive and lock-up. You can swap the computer from an 87/88 TuboCoupe automatic, add the wiring, and accompaning VAM and injector changes. A C4 is more of a bolt in affair, but requires the specific C4 to 2.3 bell housing that is rather hard to find and commands a premium price.

As a driver, a rebuild of the C3 is likely the smoothest option.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    What Merkur? XR4Ti or Scorpio??

ASSUMING Xr4Ti, the only other options are to go to an A4LD or C4 ...

Issues with both swaps, the A4LD needs a computer for overdrive and lock-up. You can swap the computer from an 87/88 TuboCoupe automatic, add the wiring, and accompaning VAM and injector changes. A C4 is more of a bolt in affair, but requires the specific C4 to 2.3 bell housing that is rather hard to find and commands a premium price.

As a driver, a rebuild of the C3 is likely the smoothest option.
    That sounds like the "time for her to buy a new car" response.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Thank you very much for the info... she was hoping to not have to pay an arm and a leg for it but well have to find something...

she wont let this car go the body is rust free no dings dents or anything.... not to mention shes had for a long time and it was a gift lol

If she wants a C3 I can get some wanted feelers out there ... lot's of the Merkur guys upgrade, and most of them have a parts car, LOL ;) They arent that bad to have rebuilt also.

If you want to look at some of the other options, PM me a number and we can discuss details.

In general, the issue with anything that wasnt intended for behind a 2.3 is with depths (2.3 is actually deeper) and pilot diameter (2.3 is tiny).

BTW - It sounds like she is not interested in moving on, but if she wants to sell, i'm listening ;)
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger