Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this is a scam?

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar

Do you think this is a scam?

Hi folks,

I got a PM on corral.net regarding the ad I have posted for my '94 Cobra.

Sounds a little fishy to me - the guy says his bank ( NFCU ) needs the VIN and exact mileage in order for the guy to apply for a loan. Seems like he could try to apply for a lost title or something... I don't know the rules for different states - this guy is from Rhode Island ( at least his screen name says so ).

It is also odd to me that the guy has zero posts on the forum. I smell more fish...

Here's the message he sent - so you can see exactly how he worded this.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    My credit union asked for VIN and approx mileage before loaning me money on mine. Banks want to know if the product they're loaning you money on is worth the collateral in case you default. Doesn't sound too uncommon to me.

Best way to find out is work out the details over the phone. He comes to you with a certified check and leaves with a title, that's how I did it. Sight unseen is a hell of a risky deal though for the buyer, ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Terminated; 11-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

I googled NFCU and came up with Navy Federal Credit Union ....

On the site, there is a link to click for "what you need to apply" for an auto loan ...

What You'll Need to Apply for a Purchase Auto Loan

• Contact information for applicant and co-applicant, if applicable (phone number and email)*
    • Current housing, employment, and income information for applicant and co-applicant,
      if applicable
    If you've already picked out a car from a dealer or private seller, you'll need to provide:
    • The 17-character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the vehicle
    • The exact mileage on the vehicle
    • The state where you will register the vehicle
    • Dealer or seller's name
    • Trade-in information, if applicable
    • Amount to be financed (including vehicle purchase price, taxes, tags, title, and warranty, less any down payment)
    • Term of the loan
    If you're still car shopping but want to get pre-approved for a loan to buy from a dealership, you'll need to provide:
    • Trade-in information, if applicable
    • Amount you expect to finance (including vehicle purchase price, taxes, tags, title, and warranty, less any down payment)
    • Term of the loan
    If you'd like your loan documents sent to an address other than your address of record or to a
    Navy Federal branch, please call 1-888-842-6328.
    *Final amount will include taxes, tags, title, and warranty.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Don't take validation of the request for information as credible ... the zero post thing is always fishey, but hey if your on a car search you might need to join a forum to get info on a car of interest
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

get his phone number
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Thanks fellas - those were some quick answers! I really appreciate the help. I definitely don't want to turn away any potential buyers, as the order banks are now open for the 2014 GTs... Production won't start until mid Q#1 of 2013...but it sure would be nice to get my order in so I'm guaranteed delivery before cruising season is upon us!!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

I like the phone number idea. People on the Internet are fake. People on the phone are real. People in front of you are buyers!

I hear ya Greg. I got a response back from the guy with his name and phone numbers at work and home, as well as an email address. So that is encouraging. I'd rather sell the car locally, but we'll see where this goes.

I REALLY want to drive up to Dan's dealership and place my order!!!

I also needed the exact mileage and vin for my credit union. They also needed a picture of the car.
    The best former Rodeheaver's Hot Rod employee ever.

15gt
    Premium - Performance Pack - Recaros

94gt
    410w - faceplated t56 - s478 - Gone

I would be cautious about the zero post count thing, but at the same time that doesn't mean it's fishy. I've been google-searching for parts in the past, then ended up registering on a forum with the sole purpose to PM a seller and buy something from them.

Also, anyone with eyes can get that information from most cars sitting in a parking lot (if the car has a non-digital odometer), so I would guess that you need a bit more information to try and apply for a lost title.

Dan

95 Rio Red Cobra Coupe
    http://www.rodeheavershotrod.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    I REALLY want to drive up to Dan's dealership and place my order!!!
    I remember him saying you could do that anyhow.

Yeah - more than you can imagine buddy!!

Last edited by 1320goat; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1320goat View Post
    ...but if he shows up with a certified check you're good to go.
    Granted, this may be the edge of paranoia... but you're only okay as long as what appears to be a certified check isn't an excellent forgery of one.

I would rather sell in person. Meet them face to face. I know you want to move the car quick though.
    -Barry
    2003 Ford Mustang Dark Shadow Grey 4.6L GT
    2004 Ford F-150 Super Crew Dark Shadow Grey 5.4L

Last edited by 1320goat; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Just have him wire the money, it can't be reversed. Did that last month when I sold my Modena.

Quote Originally Posted by 1320goat View Post
    That's why you do the transaction at the bank, I didn't mean to just take his check and wave goodbye as he drives your car away.
    That's my favorite way! Even $100 bills can be faked, so I'd much prefer the teller hand me a check. Maybe there's a way this could be coordinated if there is a NFCU branch around here.

Bank wire transaction trumps all. ANY check no matter, whether cashiers, bank draft, or certified can have a stop payment applied. ANY ONE...!!
    Mark
    LeMans Blue Z06

Last edited by 1320goat; 01-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.