Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock muffler question

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar

Stock muffler question

Does anyone know if the stock 2011+ GT mufflers are the same as the Boss 302 mufflers?
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

I don't think so. I recall reading awhile back that the OEM Boss mufflers are actually the same as the V6 mufflers.
    Live free or die

Thanks for the info. That really surprises me...since the Boss, even with the side-exit restrictor plates installed, has a really nice rumble.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Nothing clever to say.... jaa55's Avatar
    I think they are the same except for the tip size on the end of the muffler. I remember when they had the special on the boss on speed they said the exhaust was largely the same from the GT with the exception of the H-pipe
    03 Torch Red Anni. Ed. Cobra

11 Grabber Blue 5.0, 3D500 spoiler, CS valance, GT premium, interior upgrade package, Brembos, MT-82 and Whipple powered SOLD

01 cobra: traded

93 LX Modular 4v swap
    Sean Hyland Motorsport forged rotating assembly, Teksid block, 01 cobra heads, cams and intake SOLD

Thanks Jim! By the way - I told a buddy about your car. He sounded interested. He installed the Paxton on my '66 and is a lifetime Ford nut. His name is Joe - great guy.

Nothing clever to say.... jaa55's Avatar
    Point him my way!
    03 Torch Red Anni. Ed. Cobra

11 Grabber Blue 5.0, 3D500 spoiler, CS valance, GT premium, interior upgrade package, Brembos, MT-82 and Whipple powered SOLD

01 cobra: traded

93 LX Modular 4v swap
    Sean Hyland Motorsport forged rotating assembly, Teksid block, 01 cobra heads, cams and intake SOLD

Formerly 2011 GB/CS & CST 03 03 OW SVT's Avatar
    Ron, the stock mufflers don't provide much sound if thats what your looking for. It was the first mod I did to my car. I put Stainless Works on mine and it still wasn't loud enough so I removed the cats. Now it sounds great but its getting Headers next.
    17 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi
    16 Comp O GT Performance Pack
    03 Oxford white Cobra (Gone but not forgotten)

Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by jaa55 View Post
    I think they are the same except for the tip size on the end of the muffler. I remember when they had the special on the boss on speed they said the exhaust was largely the same from the GT with the exception of the H-pipe

Correct. Let me know if you need a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS View Post
    Ron, the stock mufflers don't provide much sound if thats what your looking for. It was the first mod I did to my car. I put Stainless Works on mine and it still wasn't loud enough so I removed the cats. Now it sounds great but its getting Headers next.
    After hearing Jim's ( jaa55 ) supercharged GT with the Boss side-exit exhaust and stock Mustang axle-backs ( awesome!! ), I'm seriously considering going with the same setup when I get my car.

They're similar to stock mufflers, just a larger tip.

The only V8 car that has different mufflers is the GT500.

The GT does in fact have two different sets, one for auto and one for manual though.
    2022 BMW M4 Competition xDrive
    2022 BMW X4M Competition
    2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 CFTP
    2019 McLaren 720S

Quote Originally Posted by Seer View Post
    They're similar to stock mufflers, just a larger tip.

The only V8 car that has different mufflers is the GT500.

The GT does in fact have two different sets, one for auto and one for manual though.
    That is good info. Thanks!

In a perfect world ( one with unlimited funds ) I would go with the Boss 302 side-exit exhaust AND a Borla ATAK axle-back. But for starters, the Boss 302 side-exit with the stock axle back really does sound great.

I have heard that header swaps on these cars don't yield much in the way of horsepower gains. I'm sure it changes the exhaust note - but for that much money I'm not sure I'd go that route unless I was making so much power that the stock headers were a bottleneck.

ron

you should consider just adding gt500 mufflers from the get go

they sound awesome, i did that with my 12 gt and i will be putting them on the boss as well
    Current Stable
    2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302
    1993 Red Cobra

Previous Stable
    2012 White Mustang-Traded
    2004 Competition Orange Terminator - Sold
    2003 Black Cobra-Traded
    1998 Black Cobra-Traded
    1991 White 5.0 Conv-Sold
    1986 Purple 5.0 Trunk-Sold to Psycho 5.0

https://www.facebook.com/steelcitymusclecars

https://www.facebook.com/cruisin.cranberry

Modular Ford Performance Wolfpack Speed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOT SVT View Post
    ron

you should consider just adding gt500 mufflers from the get go

they sound awesome, i did that with my 12 gt and i will be putting them on the boss as well
    X2 Ron, you are welcome to stop down the shop and listen to mine if you like
    Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

Thanks guys!!

Mike - I will definitely stop down sometime. I know the GT500 axle-backs sound great - but the Boss 302 side-exits really sound good as well, and are "different".

i am saying add the gt500 mufflers first as they are like $300 then add the boss side pipes when $ available
    Current Stable
    2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302
    1993 Red Cobra

Previous Stable
    2012 White Mustang-Traded
    2004 Competition Orange Terminator - Sold
    2003 Black Cobra-Traded
    1998 Black Cobra-Traded
    1991 White 5.0 Conv-Sold
    1986 Purple 5.0 Trunk-Sold to Psycho 5.0

https://www.facebook.com/steelcitymusclecars

https://www.facebook.com/cruisin.cranberry

choices choices choices...

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    That is good info. Thanks!

In a perfect world ( one with unlimited funds ) I would go with the Boss 302 side-exit exhaust AND a Borla ATAK axle-back. But for starters, the Boss 302 side-exit with the stock axle back really does sound great.

I have heard that header swaps on these cars don't yield much in the way of horsepower gains. I'm sure it changes the exhaust note - but for that much money I'm not sure I'd go that route unless I was making so much power that the stock headers were a bottleneck.
    If going catless I have seen 18-25r whp gains with headers. So there are nice gains to be made. There is no real tuning to be involved if the maf curve is already correct on a previously tuned car, just need cat overtemp turned off. The trick is to buy a header where the primaries match the firing order properly. Plenty of designs out there still using thr mod motor primary design. Doesnt hurt the car but doesnt give the best results.
    Last edited by Seer; 01-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    2022 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 McLaren 720S

Quote Originally Posted by Seer View Post
    If going catless I have seen 18-25r whp gains with headers. So there are nice gains to be made. There is no real tuning to be involved if the maf curve is already correct on a previously tuned car, just need cat overtemp turned off.
    I'm definitely not going catless. Would be nice to be able to put more than 5k miles a year on it, in which case I wouldn't be emissions exempt. The 20 added hp isn't worth the catless stink to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    I'm definitely not going catless. Would be nice to be able to put more than 5k miles a year on it, in which case I wouldn't be emissions exempt. The 20 added hp isn't worth the catless stink to me.
    I don't notice it :)
    2022 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 McLaren 720S

That's good to know - I guess going catless with the coyote isn't as smelly as it used to be on the older 5.0s. But I have to keep the cats for inspection purposes. I think the performance and sound will be good enough for me even with the cats on the car.

My '94 Cobra didn't have cats...but I had it registered with Classic PA Plates, so it was emissions exempt.