Thread: 1965 Mustang questions

Question 1965 Mustang questions

This shows up on craigslist today: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3597854079.html

I've often thought of getting an older Mustang. Seriously, what kind of things should one "look" for with a first gen. Mustang? I know they rust like crazy, but where and what should I look for. I'm not a welder or body guy, but I can see if there are HOLES in shit and obvious problems.

Give me some ideas.

Thanks.

I'd say bottom of the rear quarter panels, rocker panels, and be sure to crawl under to look at the front floorboards. Bottom of the front fenders are a bad spot too, but those shouldn't be too bad to replace if necessary. I've heard the cowl area can be bad too, but i haven't really seen that in person. Maybe take a small magnet with you to check those areas for bondo. You'd probably want one that already has front disc brakes too. A lot still have drums on the front which probably wouldn't be good for spirited back road driving. I helped my dad restore his like 15 years ago so I know a little, but I'm sure there are guys on here that know more than me. IMO that price is a little steep for that one actually. I'd put it in the $8-10K range unless it's nicer that it looks in those pics.
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    They can pretty much rust anywhere - floorpans, cowl, quarters, door bottoms, shock towers, behind front wheel, frame rails, trunk, etc. So you pretty much have to check everywhere - not only for rust, but for poorly or improperly repaired areas. These cars are coming up on 50 years old, so chances are most of them have had some sort of accident or rust damage in the past. Reproduction panels don't always fit the best or have the best body contours.

You definitely want to start with a solid ( either original or properly repaired ) car that costs significantly more, than a cheap car that needs a bunch of sheetmetal repair. In the long run you'll come out ahead.

Many folks take a '64-'66 Mustang that came from the factory with the inline 6 and drop in a V8 of some sort. Problem is, many of those folks don't upgrade from the 6-cylinder 4-lug suspension to the 8-cylinder 5-lug suspension, making the car a death trap with fragile spindles, a weak 7.5" 4-lug rear axle, and inadequate brakes.

Let me know if you find a car that you're seriously considering. I'd be glad to try to come look at it with you or answer any questions you might have. Getting the car up on a lift to inspect is always a big plus. I also know a bunch of folks with these cars, and usually a few of them are for sale. This year the Mustang is the feature car at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - we'll have TONS of them there. It would be a good place to see a lot of them in one place, talk to owners, and figure out exactly what kind of Mustang you really want ( original, restomod, coupe, fastback, convertible, street, drag, track...).

You would have LOVED the '66 GT coupe I sold last year. All original sheetmetal - never a spec of rust anywhere - no accident damage ever - San Jose built car - loaded with options from factory A/C to power steering. The underside was as clean as the top. One restoration back in 1985. She was a beaut! I will miss her, but the new GT isn't going to pay for itself...so she had to go.

Good luck, and again, feel free to let me know if I can help. Always fun helping to spend other folks' money!!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Holy cows... thanks guys. That's a lot of info. Paxton!

I found this on another site: (EDIT --- it's the same car)

65 mustang coupe 289 4 spd, 9 in rear 3.25 gears, ps, disc brakes, new performance suspension, sub frame connectors, 16 in polished torque thrust II 's, nice paint and interior, runs and drives excellent, headturner! 11000 obo, 724-323-3513

$2K less?
    Last edited by Troll; 02-07-2013 at 07:48 AM.

It all depends on the condition of the car. It could be a $3k car or it could be a $23k car. You can't start to put a number on it until you see it in person and drive it.

At least you know he is considering a lower price - winter weather does that.

Good luck!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

The pictures and description make it sound pretty appealing.

The tough part about old Mustangs is they're good looking cars but that doesn't mean they are good cars.

Take it for a drive. How's that 4-speed feel? How much money has been spent on the brakes... double master cylinder yet? Is the new suspension sorted out or does it corner like a shaky step ladder?

How many excuses are you making for the car when you drive it? None? Cool. Lots (might just need tires, needs a little carb work, I can touch that up, etc)... maybe best to move on.

Then get it on a lift. This thing is nearly 50 years old... like Ron says it might be a $3k car or a $23k car! Snow makes them cheaper!

I agree with Paxton, you may spend a little more money but its worth it to get a solid car.
    "If speed wasn't important, it wouldn't be called the human race!"

This car has been for sale for a good while unless is was bought and is now up for sale again. I'm personally not that into these cars, but I did stop and look at it when it was sitting along side of the road a summer or two ago. I thought it looked decent for the money, but really wasn't that interested in it so I didn't pay that close attention to it. The guy who owned it when I saw it, came from a car family, especially old Fords, and do alot of work themselves. I never talked to the owner when I looked at it so I'm not sure if they did the resto or not? My personal opinion from what I remember is that 8-10k would be a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Holy cows... thanks guys. That's a lot of info. Paxton!

I found this on another site: (EDIT --- it's the same car)

65 mustang coupe 289 4 spd, 9 in rear 3.25 gears, ps, disc brakes, new performance suspension, sub frame connectors, 16 in polished torque thrust II 's, nice paint and interior, runs and drives excellent, headturner! 11000 obo, 724-323-3513

$2K less?
    Looks like that ad was from last year - post date is October 2012. Wonder what has been done since then to drive up the price?
    Yellow 95 GT Vert 5 speed- Pypes Violator Catback, staggered 03 Cobra Replica wheels....
    H&R SS Springs, MM CC Plates and Tokico Illimina's......

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Older resto is desireable to me - if it was a slap paint over rust job then it would be showing through. If no rust bubbles on an older resto was likely done right.

Assuming the car is solid I dont' think your could build it for much less than 12k.

You know what's nice about classics? If you don't like it a year from now it's still worth what you paid!
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    Older resto is desireable to me - if it was a slap paint over rust job then it would be showing through. If no rust bubbles on an older resto was likely done right.

Assuming the car is solid I dont' think your could build it for much less than 12k.

You know what's nice about classics? If you don't like it a year from now it's still worth what you paid!
    I like these things you say.

I'd hate to ask a guy to take his car for a ride in this weather.

you ever end up checking the car out?
    2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302
    -Recaros, Torsen #0054
    -Ford Boss Springs, BMR Upper/Lower Control Arms, Panhard Bar
    -LED Interior Lights, 15% Tint, Carbon Fiber this and that.
    -JLT, Lund nGauge
    2016 Ford Focus ST - Kona Blue - DD
    -ST3, Recaros, Nav, Roof etc
    -Springs, Tint, Mountune Intake

1983 Black GT Hatch 5.0 - Sold
    2011 Sterling Gray GT - Sold
    2010 Candy Red Metallic GT - Sold
    2004 Competition Orange Mach 1 - Sold
    2000 Silver GT - Sold
    1969 Candy Apple Red Mustang Coupe - Sold

Take a look here I'm doing a rustStang now..
    https://picasaweb.google.com/73turbo...68MustangConvt
    289 slabside cobra
    6S1941

40 Ford Sedan Delivery < For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    you ever end up checking the car out?
    Nah, I gave up tire kickin' for Lent.

It's AC Cobra replica or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Nah, I gave up tire kickin' for Lent.

It's AC Cobra replica or nothing.
    Do a Daytona coupe!!!!!!