Last summer I was driving home and the Ranger started sputtering and shut off. Didn't have power anywhere. No lights, fuel pump, fan, etc......nothing. After wiggling and giggling some wires the power was back. Started and drive home. The next day there was no power anywhere. After some probing and searching I found a melted plug in the main wiring harness. It's the main 12v supply to the fuse panel. I replaced the plug with a factory plug just like it from a parts truck I had.

Well fast forward to this week. I drove the truck to work Friday....ran great! Jumped in it yesterday to take a ride....nothing....no power.....again. Tried the lights...nothing. Went under the hood, checked that same plug and it's melted again. Wiggled it around and the truck started right up.

The only purpose this connection serves is to separate the core support harness from the cab harness. Any ideas about what could be causing this?

Here's a pic of the plug. The splice on either side of it is from last summer when I added in the replacement plug.

plug.jpg