Thread: Squeaking Noise - T5

Squeaking Noise - T5

I have an all-stock 94 Cobra with 42K miles that has developed a squeaking noise coming from the transmission area. It occurs when the clutch is disengaged at idle, in neutral, all gears, but it will go away by putting even the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch pedal.

Is it possible the OEM clutch cable adjuster isn't allowing enough adjustment? I've tried pulling up on the pedal/OEM adjuster to adjust the clutch, but that doesn't seem to help or adjust anything.

Any tips to help me solve this annoying noise are appreciated. Thanks.
    2016 GT Premium

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Hi Bob - I had this exact same issue with an '88 GT hatch years ago - probably was the summer of 1993. Replaced a weak clutch and saw some scoring on the T5's bearing retainer. I sold the car soon after so I never fixed it. Anyway, I think the scored bearing retainer surface didn't let the TOB slide/spin as it should, causing the squeaking noise. Later I learned that Ford started making steel bearing retainers to replace the factory aluminum pieces. The steel I guess is more durable than the aluminum. I'm sure other folks can give a more thorough answer, but my guess is the bearing retainer.

I also tried the pedal adjustment trick but it didn't help my problem at all.
    Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 11-05-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Throw out brg.....try reaching down and grabbing the clutch pedal and pull up to put some preload on the brg. The ratchet and pawl mechanism will move a tooth.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

As John said, almost 100% the throw out bearing.

Actually more common with some replacement ones from some manufacturers (for a while a lot of the ones Spec supplied did this).
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

I remember replacing a clutch and throwout bearing years ago. I had the squeak before and after the replacement.
    Out came the tranny again. It was the bearing retainer.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...aring-Retainer

Last edited by burntire; 11-06-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    2016 Mustang GT

Thanks for the replies. I will try and pull up on the clutch pedal with my hand and get more adjustment. I am thinking the clutch cable has stretched or something.
    2016 GT Premium