Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTB: 2007 F150 - Any Issues?

LTB: 2007 F150 - Any Issues?

I found a nice clean XLT with low mileage and was thinking about trading my current Impala in on this as my new DD. It is a one owner, ext cab, with the towing package. It has the 5.4 and I know these have given people some issues in the past, but is there anything else I should be careful about or look at?

I had an 04 with the 5.4 3V for a few years and had zero issues with the engine or the rest of the truck. Should make for a good daily as long as you're prepared for the shitty mileage of a full size truck
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Yeah, not too worried about the mileage. I was going to buy a new truck, but I just cant justify spending 40k+ on a DD that will be lucky to be worth half of that in 3 years.

I had an 05 XLT, but 4.6. I like that truck better than my 12. A lot better. The only issue sI had with that truck was a sticky steering rod u joint and the e brake freeze up thing.

Biggest issue with the 5.4 is plugs which you probably already know. I assume you'll do them yourself, dealers quote about $80 PER plug to change them. They snap in half and sometimes one end falls in and causes a huge mess. I've heard of $700 bills for plugs.
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by travj31 View Post
    Yeah, not too worried about the mileage. I was going to buy a new truck, but I just cant justify spending 40k+ on a DD that will be lucky to be worth half of that in 3 years.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I had to buy a new one for a job I used to have... Make you a good deal on it http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forum...-2013-fx4-f150
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

I just did the same thing. I priced out a 2013/2014 F150 at over 45k and walked right off the lot. A week later I found my superduty that was way cheaper and will last me longer. I think most of the new f150s I looked at where in the same price area as a superduty. Not sure why because the SD will last longer and have higher value later.
    Stock 03 Cobra Vroom Vroom!!

Proudly supports Street Lethal Performance and Rodeheaver's Hotrod Shop

Quote Originally Posted by PowerStroke6.7 View Post
    I just did the same thing. I priced out a 2013/2014 F150 at over 45k and walked right off the lot. A week later I found my superduty that was way cheaper and will last me longer. I think most of the new f150s I looked at where in the same price area as a superduty. Not sure why because the SD will last longer and have higher value later.
    It's amazing the price of trucks anymore... I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day who is a salesman at C. Harper and he said most vehicles they sell with a sticker of $35k and up are traded in within 2 years for something used or less expensive. It's no damn wonder they offer payment plans for 84 months, not too many folks can pay cash or finance for 3 years anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman701 View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. I had to buy a new one for a job I used to have... Make you a good deal on it http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forum...-2013-fx4-f150
    Nice lookin' truck, but I'm trying to keep my self discipline by sticking to my under 20k budget.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post
    Biggest issue with the 5.4 is plugs which you probably already know. I assume you'll do them yourself, dealers quote about $80 PER plug to change them. They snap in half and sometimes one end falls in and causes a huge mess. I've heard of $700 bills for plugs.
    This is what worries me. I'd probably change the plugs as soon as I got it just to try and do some preventative maintenance.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    The 2005's are supposed to be the worst when it comes to breaking plugs. Check out

www.ford-trucks.com

it is a great website.

After 2005 they changed the plug design. I had a coil pack go bad on mine...and I think a few more are on their way. When the weather breaks I will have to bite the bullet and have someone change the plugs ( the tool to remove broken plugs is $100 ) and I might get a full set of Motorcraft coils and do them myself. Until then, power is down and mileage...ugh...around 9 mpg. Good thing my commute is 6 miles.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

I had a 2012 STX F150 4x4 ext cab with a 5.0. Stickers for 35k. I paid 30. Minus 1k down and 3k trade in, I financed 26k. Traded it in 2 years later for 26k on my 14 GT.
    2014 Mustang GT m6 - 12.97@111
    All stock down to the tires
    12.53 on slicks. Stock. No tune.

1986 Mustang 5 speed - 12.10@110 off the sauce
    11.05 on Nitrous babying a hurt t-5

327 stroker BOSS block with junk Pro Comp heads
    355hp n/a
    520hp on nitrous

All Nitrous parts are gone. Turbo on the way

Tuned by Tim @ Rodeheavers Hotrod & Dyno Shop

I have an '07 F150 Fx4 ext cab with the 5.4 and 373 gears. bought it in '09 with 17k miles on it. at 30k miles i changed the plugs and had one break off, not a major fix but definitely was a pain. changed the front and rear diff to royal purple and have been running Royal purple 5w-20 motor oil since 20k miles. change the oil about every 8-10k miles. Haven't had any problems with it and it now has 94k on it. The gas mileage is rough in the winter time. 13.5 to 14mpg with the factory settings. I switched to an SCT tuner and a custom tune from more power tuning out of florida. It has a cold air intake, long tube headers and a Roush off-road exhaust. I now get 16.5 to 17.5mpg on a consistent basis. As for cosmetic, pay attn to the cab corners for rust and also listen for an exhaust leak from the passenger side manifold (thats why i switched to long tubes). other than those things...i couldn't be happier with the truck. Im gonna run it for another 90k i hope.

Mach - I take it that 16mpg is highway?? That's impressive. My 250 is a bunch heavier and also a CC so I'll never see that mileage, but I hope I'll see better than 9 around town and 11 highway once I can change the original plugs and coils.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Mach - I take it that 16mpg is highway?? That's impressive. My 250 is a bunch heavier and also a CC so I'll never see that mileage, but I hope I'll see better than 9 around town and 11 highway once I can change the original plugs and coils.
    16mpg is mostly highway driving with some city driving.if its all highway, like my last trip to ohio(out the turnpike from breezewood- i got 17.2mpg two days before christmas. in the summer months i can get 16mpg around town on my trips to work, its about 11miles one way from my home with only 3 stop lights. I do take it easy for the most part but the truck does have 275/60/R20 on it.

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Wow Ron that is terrible!....lol
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Yep - she's big and heavy. I'm sure plugs and coils will help some, but probably not a lot. The Super Dutys didn't have mpg posted on their stickers...I wonder why?

Yep - she's big and heavy. I'm sure plugs and coils will help some, but probably not a lot. The Super Dutys didn't have mpg posted on their stickers...I wonder why?
    HD duties are exempt from scaring the poop out of people on the stickers.

My '12 5.0 is stuck at 13.2 combined, but it's also getting a new short block or hopefully new long block in the next few days.
    Live free or die

^^^^ that's about it!!

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post
    HD duties are exempt from scaring the poop out of people on the stickers.

My '12 5.0 is stuck at 13.2 combined, but it's also getting a new short block or hopefully new long block in the next few days.
    Man I don't want to hijack Travis's thread but I would like to hear why? Coworker has a 12 5.0 and it has a slight knock at idle. Doesn't sound right to me.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

As another said listen for exhaust leaks. Could be a tall tail that exhaust manifold studs are broken/rusted off. Not a fun job if you do it yourself and very expensive if you take it somewhere.
    Sam

07 V6 Vista Blue, CAI, Fang Chin Spoiler, GT Rockers, Painted Mirror Covers, Billit Grill, FR500's & Nitto 555's, Shaker Intake

no hijacking here, im curious too... something doesn't sound right with that.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    Man I don't want to hijack Travis's thread but I would like to hear why? Coworker has a 12 5.0 and it has a slight knock at idle. Doesn't sound right to me.

no hijacking here, im curious too... something doesn't sound right with that.
    I put up a thread http://www.steelcitymusclecars.com/f...704#post358704

Did you pick up the 07 or pass?
    Live free or die