Thread: Leather care

Leather care

I'm looking for some tips on leather conditioning/restoration. I bought some used leather Recaros from an SVT Focus donor. Overall they are in great shape, but have some minor cracking on the driver's seat bolsters. I'd like to condition the seats to prevent any further cracking, and also hide any current cracks. I'm not looking to just shine, but properly condition the leather. I've been doing a lot of reading, but I'd like to hear what products you all use, how often you use it, what not​ to use, etc.
    Thanks for any advice.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Call T at Autoality. He will set you up.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Eric (T), will definitely have something that will help. If they need redone talk to Jeff at Fibrenew Three Rivers. He has done work for me personally and is extremely reasonable, and the results were amazing.

I use Adams leather cleaner and conditioner and it works good but I don't like leather seats so I haven't used it that much not use it enough to try other products

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Call T at Autoality. He will set you up.
    This. T will tell you everything you need. Awesome guy.
    -Barry
    2003 Ford Mustang Dark Shadow Grey 4.6L GT
    2004 Ford F-150 Super Crew Dark Shadow Grey 5.4L

Thanks all. Any DIY info is appreciated. I don't plan on taking it to a detail shop at the moment, but I'll keep Autoality in mind if I do.
    mark

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Autoality is a detail supply store and not a detail shop.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

I've been using Lexol pH leather cleaner along with Chemical Guys leather Serum. I like them both so far. Haven't really used the Lexol on anything real dirty yet though since both of my vehicles are almost new. The Lexol can be bought at Walmart which is nice.

03 Cobra=slow show car...
    13 F-150 Limited

I've heard great things about Swissvax products. I haven't used any yet but all the reviews and videos I've watched look promising. I will be picking up their leather car Kit which includes their leather cleaner, leather milk, and appropriate applicators. Leather should be matte and soft when properly cleaned and conditioned. I can't stand it when a cleaner and or conditioner leaves leather all shiny and slippery.

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...e=LEATHER-CARE

I emailed them to ask if it would be ok to use on my dakota leather and their response was quick, informative, and polite.

A good DIY with the product:

Last edited by stieny; 01-09-2015 at 02:37 AM.
    '15 CLA250 4Matic / AMG Sport

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    I use Lexol on the leather parts in my 03 Cobra and pretty happy.

Tape off the inserts and apply Lexol with a clean MF , let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then buff the excess off with a MF towel.

Test in an inconspicuous area of course, but your SVTF leather should prob. be of the same material.

I usually scub the seats with Meguiar's APC diluted about 10:1 and a soft bristle tooth brush if a seat is really dirty.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Thanks for the input everyone. After much reading and learning basically all leather auto seats are really coated with plastic, I went ahead and ordered a Zymol kit. It's very well reviewed, and rather inexpensive. If I don't get the results I'm after next in line to try is Lexol.
    My concern is that no product will actually penetrate to the leather, but I guess I'll find out.
    mark

I use Ultima. The interior gel shampoo and the Interior guard + Ultima makes some of the best out there. Nothing greasy and shiny like a lot of products. It leaves it the proper matte looking color and no greasy feeling. Plus it's durability is hard to beat.
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport

You are semi correct, the "clear" top coat applied to protect the leather is cracked and nothing except having a company like Fibrenew repsrayed a new top coat can make it look correct again. You will be able to slightly improve the look using the products you mentioned but that's about the best temporary results you can expect. When the time comes give them a call and your seat will look brand new on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. After much reading and learning basically all leather auto seats are really coated with plastic, I went ahead and ordered a Zymol kit. It's very well reviewed, and rather inexpensive. If I don't get the results I'm after next in line to try is Lexol.
    My concern is that no product will actually penetrate to the leather, but I guess I'll find out.

Nothing clever to say.... jaa55's Avatar

Leather care

Black shoe polish, no joke try it. Rub it in when it's still wet. Did it to a 95 cobra and my SVTF recaros

EDIT: black shoe dye
    Last edited by jaa55; 01-16-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    03 Torch Red Anni. Ed. Cobra

11 Grabber Blue 5.0, 3D500 spoiler, CS valance, GT premium, interior upgrade package, Brembos, MT-82 and Whipple powered SOLD

01 cobra: traded

93 LX Modular 4v swap
    Sean Hyland Motorsport forged rotating assembly, Teksid block, 01 cobra heads, cams and intake SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jaa55 View Post
    Black shoe polish, no joke try it. Rub it in when it's still wet. Did it to a 95 cobra and my SVTF recaros

Any particular brand you used?
    mark

Kiwi

11 Grabber Blue 5.0, 3D500 spoiler, CS valance, GT premium, interior upgrade package, Brembos, MT-82 and Whipple powered SOLD

93 LX Modular 4v swap
    Sean Hyland Motorsport forged rotating assembly, Teksid block, 01 cobra heads, cams and intake SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jaa55 View Post

Well, I just saw that you edited it from shoe polish to shoe dye, but I used shoe polish anyway and it worked great.
    It's certainly shinier than I would prefer, but I'm sure it'll dull over time. The shoe polish was amazing for hiding the cracks/defects in the leather.
    mark

Cool good to hear, The dye works very well too

93 LX Modular 4v swap