Thread: Anyone have this tool that I could borrow??

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar

Anyone have this tool that I could borrow??

Hi folks,

I'm going to be changing the spark plugs on my 2005 F250 with the 5.4L 3-valve motor. The truck has about 91,000 miles on it and the plugs are original. The '04-'08 3-valve 5.4's are famous for having the spark plugs come apart, as threads extend into the combustion chamber and get carboned up. When you try to remove the plug, the carbon prevents the plug from threading out and the plug breaks into two pieces, leaving the threaded part in the head. Given my luck in general, I'm expecting 6 to 8 of the plugs to break on me.

The answer to this problem is a special tool - but the dang thing is $90 and while I love buying tools, I hate to have to spend almost $100 on a tool that I will probably only use one day.

So...do any of you have one of these that I could borrow? The parts store has loaner tools...but not this particular tool. If you're local and have one handy I'd be glad to meet somewhere and buy you lunch. I'm in the Moon Twp area, about 3 minutes from Robert Morris University.

Here's the part - from the Advance Auto website...

Thanks guys!

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 02-12-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Check the F150 forums if you haven't already. I remember when I used to browse them this tool would pop up a bunch. Not sure what the resale value of it is. Tough to shell out $90 for a one and done tool. Or it could be a great investment to start a 5.4 plug change service business.
    Live free or die

Bunch of them on eBay. Some used are going for less than half price. That looks like the way to go.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    2005 f150??????
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    There's a trick on those if you have air, hit them with a 1/4" gun after spraying them down... I could ask my buddy who is a Ford tech and does em all the time.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    2005 f150??????
    Sorry - I fat-fingered it... I have a 2005 F250 ( not F150 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Terminated View Post
    There's a trick on those if you have air, hit them with a 1/4" gun after spraying them down... I could ask my buddy who is a Ford tech and does em all the time.
    Thanks Dan - I appreciate it. Only thing is certain years of these trucks have different problems. The 3-valve 5.4's in F250's from 2005-mid 2008 have this problem where the plugs will break into two pieces when trying to remove them. In mid-2008 Ford fixed the problem. Then...the 2004's had too few threads in the head so people were stripping out the head threads when they removed the plugs.

Mine is a 2005 F250 so I'm anticipating I'll have the problem of breaking the plugs. Carbon builds up on the plug threads that extend into the combustion chamber...and that makes it really tough to back out the plug. Some folks say a few tanks of fuel system cleaner can help clean the plug threads exposed in the combustion chamber. The way to avoid it in the future is to use some copper anti-seize on the new plug threads...and the replacement Motorcraft plugs are designed so that they don't self-destruct when you remove them. Some folks also squirt carb cleaner on the top of the plugs, hoping that some of it will creep down the plug threads and help the plug come out.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'd just like to have the tool handy in case I get a warm day where I can work on the truck ( although it won't be in the next week - damn the forecast SUCKS!! ).

I am fairly certain that you can rent that tool from Advance Auto as well.
    The best former Rodeheaver's Hot Rod employee ever.

15gt
    Premium - Performance Pack - Recaros

94gt
    410w - faceplated t56 - s478 - Gone

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post
    it could be a great investment to start a 5.4 plug change service business.
    This would have a higher suicide rate than dentists.
    1987 Fiero GT
    Precision 6466, L67, 4T80e, MS3Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cwh19 View Post
    I am fairly certain that you can rent that tool from Advance Auto as well.
    Read your avatar photo...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    This would have a higher suicide rate than dentists.
    You're probably right on that.