Thread: 04 Envoy AWD thump

04 Envoy AWD thump

Before I get under the wife's Envoy I wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with the AWD system in an Envoy or Trailblazer.

My wife's Envoy started to make a thump when in awd, doesn't make a peep in 2wd and this leads me to the front drive system. Its exactly like driving over a fresh seal strip in the highway and changes with speed. Doesn't seem to mater if its going straight or in a turn so wheel bearings are not it. She said it is more prone to doing it if there is a passenger, not sure how that works but that's what she said. Might be because she turns her music down. LOL I will be driving it to work tomorrow so I will have a better feel for what its doing.

I did a brake job on it last summer so its not an issue there, plus that would make a noise if it was in 2wd or awd.

My guesses are CV joint, slip joint or a transfer case issue. The awd light is not blinking and it is in AWD as tested on these slick roads. I will also check fluid levels.

Any other ideas that I might be over looking besides it being a GM?
    Stock 03 Cobra Vroom Vroom!!

Proudly supports Street Lethal Performance and Rodeheaver's Hotrod Shop

Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

I would try changing the transfer case fluid, if its low the clutches can be grabby.

- then get her a jeep...
    1987 Fiero GT
    Precision 6466, L67, 4T80e, MS3Pro

^ LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I would try changing the transfer case fluid, if its low the clutches can be grabby.

- than get her a jeep...
    I thought about that too. Odds are it has never been changed since she didn't use awd very often. She lived 5 miles from work on main roads before we bought the house.

Oh a jeep is on here list since her parents are diehard jeep people. So it will either a Grand Cherokee or an Escape. Just have to see what the payments will be. If that's not doable it might be another Envoy since she likes it so much. We would have to find a clean low mile one.

Subaru...........nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Aviator FTW!!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
    Subaru...........nuff said.
    LOL My 05 STI didn't make it 10k before its issues started. Both front struts, passenger's side front brake, passengers window guides fell out (yes, fell out and the wind went all wack!), syncro from 5 to 6 went out and dealer said racing (I called BS and had the regional rep come in. Told them the car didn't have enough power to mess up that gear and I would have to be going 160mph so it was impossible). Its a joke at this point. Every time I see a Subaru I start the story. "Did I ever tell you about my Subaru..."

I traded that POS for my Cobra and tripled my payments to get out from under that thing.

Formerly 2011 GB/CS & CST 03 03 OW SVT's Avatar
    Toyota 4 Runner.

End thread.
    17 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi
    16 Comp O GT Performance Pack
    03 Oxford white Cobra (Gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by RUTHLESS View Post
    LOL My 05 STI didn't make it 10k before its issues started. Both front struts, passenger's side front brake, passengers window guides fell out (yes, fell out and the wind went all wack!), syncro from 5 to 6 went out and dealer said racing (I called BS and had the regional rep come in. Told them the car didn't have enough power to mess up that gear and I would have to be going 160mph so it was impossible). Its a joke at this point. Every time I see a Subaru I start the story. "Did I ever tell you about my Subaru..."

I traded that POS for my Cobra and tripled my payments to get out from under that thing.
    agree. Everyone I know with a STi or wrx has nothing but problems and can't wait to get rid of them.