Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.3L valve clatter....yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by phillysrt4 View Post
    The provision is in all blocks though.
    It was a rolling change, so not black and white .... up to 89 SOME blocks with the boss for the oil return (not tapped) was still showing up (left from 88 TC, and 89 Merkur production). Basically when dual plugs appeared, you could say the boss was gone. All of the blocks can be modified, it's just specific to the cast in boss I'm saying here.

The rumor was always they cast the blocks and weighed them. The heavy ones went to be drilled and tapped for Turbo production, the lighter ones went to the NA line. We have clearly seen that turbo blocks seem to have better, more centered bores in the castings than NA blocks. There have even been like 88 & 89 NA cars found with the boss drilled and tapped with a plug in them. Likely was set up as a turbo block then not needed ... .020 has effectively become the max overbore anyone (that knows the information) will do on a NA block (converted for turbo use) ... anything beyond that is risky without a sonic check for core shift.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
    Going to stick in a pump and pick up tube then see what happens.
    I would too, as I said the top end is what suffers on oiling on these things. lots of oil needed up there, the bearings get oil first.

Calculated risk ....
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

The truck is nice enough that's it's worth putting $100 into for a pump and pick up tube. If that doesn't fully resolve the issue then I may have to get the head redone. But let's take it one step at a time.

Besides, if the head will need work I may as well put a bigger can in......and since the top is getting attention the bottom may need some also.....like maybe a stroker kit......ugh. Let's hope the pump and tube fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Parts were ordered yesterday. Hope to have it back together by the weekend. Will know shortly after that it there is more to worry about.

Would anyone pull a main or rod bearing? Or just see what happens.
    Ahh fuque

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Hehehe...you said pull a main rod...
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Fat guy in a turbo car JeffreyCole's Avatar
    I'd probably just give it a shot and see what happens. If it spun a bearing, its not like 10 seconds of idle time is going to make a difference in any damage that might've been done.
    90 TSi AWD Auto - 10.359@128.41
    Best MPH: 132.21
    Best 60' 1.490

It's done and runnin like a champ!! I think it's quieter now than it was before. Ready for callouts!!! Amish buggies all over Indiana county better watch out!!!
    Ahh fuque

Nice work Dan!

My repairs so far today consist of fixing the vacuum cleaner that the girls jacked up.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Change out the be to flux capacitor, then it be will be very ok..

2shay

Muffler bearings repaired to avoid danger to manifold..........situation under control.
    Ahh fuque

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
    Muffler bearings repaired to avoid danger to manifold..........situation under control.
    Glad we could help Dan!