Thread: SAFES what you got, where, how much?

SAFES what you got, where, how much?

I'm looking to get a safe for my stuff. I would like to get one locally. I'm not interested in the box store safes I've seen. They all seem thin and Chineseish. So what do you you guys think? I don't need huge but I don't wanna spend a fortune I'd like to keep it under 3000$. I have a Mosler for my valuables but rifles won't fit. Ideas?
    Last edited by torqueboxer; 04-15-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
    New combo going in 410w, tea225 high ports solid roller, novi2000, glens fuel system, pa
    Supercomp c4, some other things, hoping to run 10's...update 10.50@120 on 8 burned pistons...hoping to run 9's no cage in sight

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    My Dad has a really old one at his place. I bet it weighs 400 lbs. I can get the dimensions and see what he wants for it. It's dusty but would probably clean up reasonably well. I will snap a photo on Friday for ya.

Edit - sorry rifles won't fit in it. I'm guessing it is maybe 35" tall and 25-30" wide.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

I get mine from a place near somerset. Hoovers. 45 cubic feet. 1500 bux.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by torqueboxer View Post
    I'm looking to get a safe for my stuff. I would like to get one locally. I'm not interested in the box store safes I've seen. They all seem thin and Chineseish. So what do you you guys think? I don't need huge but I don't wanna spend a fortune I'd like to keep it under 3000$. I have a Mosler for my valuables but rifles won't fit. Ideas?
    Mosler is good stuff....I work for Diebold who now owns the rights to Mosler after the buy out years ago....let me know if you need any assistance with it
    XXX RWHP
    XXX RWTQ

But only if I let Kenne scream at ya. LOL

Year my dad used to deal in precious metals and I get the "small" safe from him so far so good. I just need one for the broomsticks and bricks of cocaine now.
    New combo going in 410w, tea225 high ports solid roller, novi2000, glens fuel system, pa
    Supercomp c4, some other things, hoping to run 10's...update 10.50@120 on 8 burned pistons...hoping to run 9's no cage in sight

I don't think they make a safe that will fit a Denali
    2014 Mustang GT Stock and for sale
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
    I don't think they make a safe that will fit a Denali
    That would be called a vault
    XXX RWHP
    XXX RWTQ

But only if I let Kenne scream at ya. LOL

I let that crap sit in the driveway.....that's why God invented heated mirrors and remote start

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    good info copied from buckeyestangs:

I've been searching for a good safe for about 6 months. Something I could afford, something that was "fireproof", something that would deter burlaries.

I, like everyone am worried about value. but how much value is out there?

Some safes have external hinges..those allow for more swing on the door for ease of access to your valuables, but offer as some say an easier to break into. Other things to look at are whether or not there is a "lip" to get some kind of prying tool into the door. Most of the better safes have a secondary spring loaded assy that keeps the bolts in place after the lock/digital combo unit is drilled or punched out. The number of bolts and thickness of the steel are two major areas of concern to pay attention to when shopping for a quality safe.

here's a good video that shows how long it takes a couple of normal people with prybars to break into a "top model" safe from the big box stores/cabellas/gun shops. they are not trained professionals. they are two guys with two simple tools... a Pry bar and a crow bar...

This leads to a couple things... you will want to SECURE the safe to walls, floors, concrete, etc. If anyone can push it over, they can get in it.

Another thing I was looking for was fireproof ratings...

It seems that most safes under 1500 bucks are lined with a couple layers of fireproof drywall, also know as gysem. that's right, drywall. you can buy this at home depot... So all the major safe brands out there have "fire resistant" safes IMO.

The "competitor" safe in this video is a cannon that you can buy at TSC for 1k.

one of the best videos I watched was here...

-JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

I've watched the last one. You're right great info! I'm trying to buy local so well see