Thread: 302 intakes

302 intakes

So my 86 has some bolt ons that the PO installed. Some are nice, some are not soo nice. I have been tooling around with it and upgrading the not soo nice parts as I go. One of the not soo nice parts is the intake, it has a PP Typhoon intake on it. Supposedly this is NOT a nice intake and everyone cringes when they see it. I have kicked around different ideas and it seems that the Holly Systemax is a nice choice for an OTB intake. I found one on the corral and am talking to the guy, but figured I'd ask here to see what all you guys have had luck with.

My combo is as follows: Typhoon U/L intake, AFR 185 CNC heads, 1.6 RR's, X cam (also on the list to be replaced), bigger injectors (I do believe they are a light blue top injector), Mass air, and a 75mm TB (think so), MAC long tubes, MAC prochamber and MAC mufflers.

Like I said, I found a Systemax II U/L for sale and I'm kicking the idea of that around, is it worth upgrading. Especially if I have plans of a better cam.

For or whatever it's worth, there were dyno sheets in the backseat of the car and it made 298/32x to the tires. I feel like a cam and intake change would help this out a little. The car had shorty headers and flower masters at the time as well...
    -Frank-
    1983 TurboCoupe-- T3, 3" exhaust, front mount, 8.8, LA3, cam -- 13.44@98mph
    1973 F250 highboy-- 300/np435/np205 60f/60r 38's
    1986 GT-- HCI
    2011 WRX
    1999 B2500 7.5/9 drop

Quote Originally Posted by turbo83coupe View Post
    So my 86 has some bolt ons that the PO installed. Some are nice, some are not soo nice. I have been tooling around with it and upgrading the not soo nice parts as I go. One of the not soo nice parts is the intake, it has a PP Typhoon intake on it. Supposedly this is NOT a nice intake and everyone cringes when they see it. I have kicked around different ideas and it seems that the Holly Systemax is a nice choice for an OTB intake. I found one on the corral and am talking to the guy, but figured I'd ask here to see what all you guys have had luck with.

My combo is as follows: Typhoon U/L intake, AFR 185 CNC heads, 1.6 RR's, X cam (also on the list to be replaced), bigger injectors (I do believe they are a light blue top injector), Mass air, and a 75mm TB (think so), MAC long tubes, MAC prochamber and MAC mufflers.

Like I said, I found a Systemax II U/L for sale and I'm kicking the idea of that around, is it worth upgrading. Especially if I have plans of a better cam.

For or whatever it's worth, there were dyno sheets in the backseat of the car and it made 298/32x to the tires. I feel like a cam and intake change would help this out a little. The car had shorty headers and flower masters at the time as well...

I have a GT40 Tubular for my 86 GT. I still am in the process of putting an nice warmed over small block in my car with this intake. There are still some nice options for a street 302. Systemax II looked good as did the Edlebrock intake. Saleen and Trick Flow have a nice intake also but are a little hard to find (Saleen). I am going with the tubular GT40 because I like the old Ford Motorsport stuff. My stang is a cruiser not a racer.

I have a holley and love it that would work great on your combo with a nice cam it should make over 300 to the wheels np
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE