Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing Question / General Opinions - 1988 F150

Towing Question / General Opinions - 1988 F150

Long story short... I sold my beater S10 to Ranger Dan a few weeks back which left me truck-less and have been looking for a replacement ever since. A friend of the family heard I was in the market and and is trying to sell me his.

It's an 1988 2wd Regular Carb Long Bed with a 302 and AOD. It has about 75k original miles and is in excellent shape given the year with only minor surface rust on the tops of the fenders. He is the second owner and has always taken great care of it. The truck has been well serviced, undercoated, and always maintained since new. It's also been parked November-April practically every year since new, therefore not being exposed to salt.

All the general maintenance items have been replaced over the last few years.... brake lines, radiator, water pump, fuel lines, etc.

The truck will be our 3rd vehicle and will only be driven maybe once/twice a week and mainly only be used for the typical truck stuff... hauling mulch, gravel, car parts, etc. I do however have a small enclosed utility trailer that I'd like to tow occasionally. I'd also like to hear your opinions on potentially towing an open car trailer/car with this truck on occasion...maybe once/twice a year.

I really don't know much about this era of truck, so just kind of looking for some opinions on value, durability, towing.

I'm almost 100% positive it will need gears. From the ones I drove, they were pretty gutless for towing/hauling with the factory 3.08 gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Weight wise I think it would be ok, like Dan said it might be sluggish.
    1987 Fiero GT
    Precision 6466, L67, 4T80e, MS3Pro

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Sluggish isn't the word.

Nice trucks if they're solid. I'd replace all the brake lines immediately. Nearly all rust above the rear wheelwells and at the bottom of the front fenders behind the wheel opening. Mileage will be bad but if it isn't your DD that's not an issue. Pics and price?
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    4.56's required
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Snailmont5oh allowed me to tow my old Cobalt SS/TC home from Nelson's Ledges after I put it into a tire wall and I was surprised how well it did. Route was mostly flat though. I think it was a 302/auto although my memory is a bit fuzzy it's been a few years.
    2014 Mustang GT Stock and for sale
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

It could be great. Or a death Trap.

if you're pulling a 3200 lb car on 45 mph roads that aren't very challenging, I'd say no sweat.

if you're pulling a 4500 lb car ( plus maybe 1800-2000 more for the trailer, right?) and figuring to scream across the pike at 75mph, or tackle 1-79 through West Virginia... Please be an organ donor!

Pulling the load generally isn't the problem. Controlling it at speed and stopping it is the hard part! You won't win any races with the 302, but I think it will go forward if you push the pedal far enough!

If you're towing a car the F150 can handle it. I'm not overly concerned about power when towing. I'd rather take it slow. If you're not in a hurry it'll do fine. I think my '94 5.0 4x4 auto was rated for 7500 lbs. If the truck is a great deal then it'll do and you won't lose much/any money when you sell down the road.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Haha - Greg and I are on the same page as usual!

Thanks for the input... I know a lot of guys that want/feel the need for diesel f250 to tow their quad around, to me that's just a little ridiculous. No matter the truck I decide on, it needs to be a budget buy that will get used as a truck. Towing for me, would probably consist of towing a quad/lawn mower on small open trailer handul times a year and maybe a car on an open trailer once or twice a year (no major trips and taking my time).

I know it's tough with no pictures, but any guesses on value of the described 88? Again, given its age... It is in excellent condition, well maintened, and only 77k on the clock.

I've probably towed as many miles (or more) with my truck as anyone on here. It's the one I got the s10 with....2001 f150 with the 5.4L. It won't win races or get the best mileage but it works, everytime, all the time. I think that truck you are looking at would be the same. It will work fine. Go for it.
    Ahh fuque

Was able to get a pic of the truck and a better description from the owner... let me know what you guys think what would be a fair price to offer him. He's a family friend so I don't want to insult or low ball him but I also don't want to overpay for a 25 year old beater/work truck.

1988 Ford XLT F150 Lariat 2WD 8 foot bed. It has the 302 motor and AOD trans. It has in the 77K range of miles and those are the actual miles since I bought it from the original owner. It was undercoated when it was new and right before I bought it, he had it re-sprayed and re-painted since there was a factory problem with the paint. It has AM-FM, tilt wheel, cruise, dual tanks, posi, bed liner and air which needs recharged. This has the old Freon cooling system (maybe R12) and will need converted to the newer type if it’s to be used. The interior is perfect with no tears and the dash is good also. There is a crack in the windshield from the rearview mirror to the top and doesn’t NOT affect the inspection. Since I’ve owned it I’ve put new brakes on the back, new rotors, pads, and brake lines on the front and had the calipers re-built. The exhaust from the converter back is new. There is a new radiator, heater core, water pump and all new hoses along with fresh antifreeze. The tires are 2 years old and I doubt they have 500 miles on them. Since 1988 has NEVER seen snow, salt or ice under it ! The fellow I bought it off used it in the summer to tow his 21’ trailer and ever since I’ve owned it, I’ve parked it around November, treated the gasoline, and left it sit till spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems legit. I know the paint on that year was an issue. My dad owned an '88 that he had repainted and Ford paid for it.
    Ahh fuque

Looks really nice. What is he asking for it? Heck - you could get antique plates of you're not going to rack up a lot of miles on it.

I'm supposed to make him an offer... He's moving south and not taking it with him. I have first crack at it if I want it, but my offer can't be too low because I know he has at least 2-3 other guys who are very interested in it.

What do you guys think - $3k? Fair amount of upkeep has been done. If the paint isn't too good then knock it down to $2500 or so?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    What do you guys think - $3k? Fair amount of upkeep has been done. If the paint isn't too good then knock it down to $2500 or so?

Good luck!
    That's what I had in mind..........
    Ahh fuque

$3k ballpark is kind of what I was thinking as well...

Ahh fuque

Dan... that is a scammer ad. They will want me to wire them money while they are out at sea or some BS like that. There are a ton of those ads on Craigslist and they all read the same. Plus a 213 area code (LA - SoCal)