Thread: Engine miss

Engine miss

So a had a catalytic converter break up in the housing so it was rattling like crazy. I drove it to work this morning with no issues. However it developed a severe dead miss on the way home and a severe loss of power. My dad and I cut the cat off to see if that cleared up the miss thinking it was clogging the exhaust. I cannot tell if that did the trick because one side it open header practically and the other is closed. To me it seems like it is still there. I did a compression check and it's perfect. Do you think I have a bad coil pack as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    I would pull the whole exhaust and confirm pieces of the cat aren't clogging anything.

Although a dead miss sounds like something else. A bad coil pack would throw a cel for misfire for that cylinder.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

My bad coil didn't throw a CEL. Even drove it about 100 miles to see if it would kick the light on. Never did. Took it to a buddy and ran a cylinder balance test with his Snapon diagnostic scanner. That showed that #7 was the dead hole.

I also had no problems leading up to when it instantly died. Installed new clutch and was out on a leisurely drive with the family. About 200 miles into breaking in the clutch I decided to romp on it a bit. Just then the COP died and it ran like crap the rest of the way. Wifey was growling all the way home. She was more annoying than the misfire!
    Last edited by Dan B.; 10-27-2015 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Lol. I am going to pick up a coil pack on the way home to have it handy once I replace the exhaust in case it's still has that miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

I've had my 2001 F150 for 12yrs and only put one coil on it. Had the GT for three weeks and it puked one. I think they are almost something you need to have in the glove box.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Well, the cats must have been severely plugged. I replaced the old catted X pipe with a new one from BBK. The miss is gone and I have to tell you, it must have been plugged for quite sometime as it is running WAY better. It feels so strong now that it feels like I gained about 30HP! I'm happy! Now all I have to to do is get it cleaned up really well before I put it away for the season.

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    glad to hear
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.