Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 GT500 - 1000hp or bust

13 GT500 - 1000hp or bust

I'm bored and thought I would share my Shelby's progress so far.
    I'm the second owner of a 2013 Ford GT500 - performance white, blue stripes, performance package, navigation, and track pack. Picked the car up with 1700 miles. I started with basic bolt on modifications: 2.4 Upper pulley, 90mm idler, thump racing tensioner, VMP 66mm TB, JLT 148mm CAI, o/r X pipe, and a VMP custom tune. This wasn't enough, I then installed: a 10% OD lower, FRPP SCJ monoblade TB, JLT 155mm Carbon Fiber CAI, ID1000 injectors, KB dual competition BAP, M/T 305 drag radials, eibach sport springs, BMR adjustable panhard bar, and started running E85 (testing the E and switching to 93 once and awhile to clean things up). Well, you guessed it, that still wasn't enough. I found a really good deal on a 3.4 Whipple Crusher and jumped on it. In the meantime I picked up a McLeod RXT twin disk clutch and flywheel. The Whipple install was a nightmare, but I did my research and tackled the project in 16 hours. At the time I wanted to retain my stock hood, so I installed Lethal's lowering engine mounts and BPS's K Member spacers. Leaning over a car with a 50+lb blower is no fun either and the tightening the bolts under the elbow is even better! After getting everything buttoned up, I drove the car and instantly regretted lowering the engine. The feel of the car was ruined and made for unpleasant NVH.
    So this winter I'm dropping the K Member and Engine. My goal is to beef up the necessary pieces in the bottom end and install an efficient set of camshafts. I will also be installing a set of 1 7/8" stainless works headers and finally putting my McLeod in. The 1000cc injectors will be making way for some 1300s. The overall goal of this setup is 900+HP on as little boost as possible. Car will not be tracked. Rearend is getting FRPP 4.10s, 9in housing ends, 31 spline moser or strange axels, and a girdle. I'm between 3 different engine builders ATM and once I sit down and go over everything, I will make my decision. (Would like some input as well).

This is how the car looks today:

I love the iconic stripe look but the simple fact they're decals and not painted on, annoys the piss out of me. So, I will be removing them, installing a Cervini 4" cowl hood (so I can raise the engine back up), smoothing and painting the top half of the front valance to match the car and hydro dipping the bottom half, Upper and lower grills, and rear valance - carbon fiber. I'm also kicking around the super snake side scoops and rear quarter glass covers. The stripes can always be reinstalled.

I'll be updating this post as the process continues. (Engine will be removed in January)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAIZE; 12-28-2015 at 04:36 PM.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Wow that's a monster. Looks awesome!! Are you sure you want 4.10's with all that torque? If you aren't tracking it wouldn't you want to give it some longer legs? Otherwise you might be burning the tires off in every gear. Just a thought. Keep the updates coming!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Wow that's a monster. Looks awesome!! Are you sure you want 4.10's with all that torque? If you aren't tracking it wouldn't you want to give it some longer legs? Otherwise you might be burning the tires off in every gear. Just a thought. Keep the updates coming!
    Thank you! I'm basing my decision purely off of a conversation I had with a gentleman who has nearly the same build I'm shooting for. He has a Moser 9" and initially had 3.70 or 3.89s (can't remember which) installed. He was extremely disappointed with them and had Moser install 4.11s and was very pleased with the result. But I know what you mean. Anything over the stock 3.31s will be an improvement! I'll have to do more research on this.

nice upgrades

like the white whipple, did not know you had to lower the engine to install one though
    Current Stable
    2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302
    1993 Red Cobra

Previous Stable
    2012 White Mustang-Traded
    2004 Competition Orange Terminator - Sold
    2003 Black Cobra-Traded
    1998 Black Cobra-Traded
    1991 White 5.0 Conv-Sold
    1986 Purple 5.0 Trunk-Sold to Psycho 5.0

https://www.facebook.com/steelcitymusclecars

https://www.facebook.com/cruisin.cranberry

Quote Originally Posted by GOT SVT View Post
    nice upgrades

like the white whipple, did not know you had to lower the engine to install one though
    Thank you.
    Yeah with the sheer size of these big blowers (Whipple 3.4, 4.0, 4.5 and KB 3.6 and 4.7) you either have to change the hood/lower the engine/cut the hood. The smaller aftermarket blowers (Whipple 2.9 and KB 2.8) you can get away with just doing the lowering motor mounts, even then some people have had to make a dent in the firewall. The super snake hood is the ultimate option paired with the motor mounts but with its price tag being 1600+ its not worth it to me.

This car is what made me lean towards the cowl hood. Never thought it would look good on a Shelby, but I enjoy the look.

Wow that is one mean look right there. Sweet choice!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Sounds like it's going to be a fun build. I've been looking at GT500's a lot lately myself. Hoping to have one by spring. The engine probably only needs a better set of rods for the power you're looking to make. The stock crank with be fine and the 13/14's had good Mahle forged pistons. I like the cowl hoods better than the Shelby style hoods too. If I get one I'll probably go with the Cervini's Cobra R style, I think it has a more subtle look. I don't think you'll have any trouble hitting your HP goal if the car is tuned on E85. Good luck and keep us posted!
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Beautiful ride! I'd also be hesitant to do a 4.10 gear with that amount of torque.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman701 View Post
    Sounds like it's going to be a fun build. I've been looking at GT500's a lot lately myself. Hoping to have one by spring. The engine probably only needs a better set of rods for the power you're looking to make. The stock crank with be fine and the 13/14's had good Mahle forged pistons. I like the cowl hoods better than the Shelby style hoods too. If I get one I'll probably go with the Cervini's Cobra R style, I think it has a more subtle look. I don't think you'll have any trouble hitting your HP goal if the car is tuned on E85. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Yes, I hope it's rather painless. Their price has fallen substantially, so you should have no trouble finding one.
    I have no idea why Ford couldn't bother to install forged rods instead of that powdered "forged" garbage in these cars. My plan as of now is to install Manley I Beam rods, tri-metal main and rod bearings, main studs, double key the crankshaft (possibly a billet crank gear), and billet oil pump gear.
    Lund says the car should be fine with my current pump setup, I just ran out of fueling with the 1000s. Absolute night and day difference driving the car on ethanol. I was testing up to E89-90 with my hydrometer at a few Speedway Gas Stations this summer! The car loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by sutyak View Post
    Beautiful ride! I'd also be hesitant to do a 4.10 gear with that amount of torque.
    Thank you! I did a good bit of reading this afternoon and it seems that 3.73s will be my poison of choice. Torque should be in the high 800s if everything goes to plan.

Nice ride. Keep the updates coming

Awesome build man, cant wait to see it all buttoned up and finished. A good friend has a '12 GT500 in white with the stripe delete package, it looks fantastic, very clean. He's running 4.10's in his car, they work great at his power level, 615hp/610tq. Definitely think youre much better of with 3.73's with that kind of hp.

My wallet hurts just reading that build. Lol

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by Dickbag 5.h0 View Post
    Awesome build man, cant wait to see it all buttoned up and finished. A good friend has a '12 GT500 in white with the stripe delete package, it looks fantastic, very clean. He's running 4.10's in his car, they work great at his power level, 615hp/610tq. Definitely think youre much better of with 3.73's with that kind of hp.
    Good to hear! I hope it turns out how I picture it. Duly noted on the gears. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
    My wallet hurts just reading that build. Lol
    Unfortunately the phrase, "You gotta pay to play." rings very true with a Shelby or any 4V for that matter.

Stainless Works Headers are here. 1 7/8" tubes with 3" collectors to a 3" catless X pipe. Really impressed with the quality so far. Welds look great. Came with header bolts, O2 extensions, instructions, hitemp rtv, clamps, and a sweet key chain...
    uploadfromtaptalk1452279704001.jpg

Wow those tubes are huge.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

Very purdy.

Throw those O2 extensions away immediately.
    2014 Mustang GT Stock and for sale
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100