Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rearend Build List?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickbag 5.h0 View Post
    No need for axles or track lock, even at higher power levels. The Ford 8.8 rears are tough sob's that will endure a lot of abuse. I've pounded the stock rear in my 2000 GT for years with over 400whp and it hasn't missed a beat. Take that cash and put it towards an aluminum driveshaft.

I'm running 4.10's and they work great for my application. At 65mph its revving around 2400rpm with a 25" tire in 5th. Coming thru the traps its at the very top end of 4th gear(6k rpm) at 124mph on a 26" tire. Not sure if the Mach and GT share the same gear and final drive ratio's, if so, I think you would be happy with either gear. If your careful removing and installing the axles after your gear change you don't need to replace your seals or bearings if both are fine.
    I see your abuse and raise you a pinion

4.30 Ford gear(made by Motive)
    Ed...
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, leveled, 35" tires
    2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange/5speed Best 1/4 11.94@113.64, 1/8 7.59@89.48, 1.57 60' - Best 60' 1.51, just a NA 2v

4.30's and don't look back. This post is full of gear fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Would this be any indication of the strength of Motive gears or too much play between the ring and pinion? I ask because I have some Motive 3.90's on the way.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

Quote Originally Posted by Dickbag 5.h0 View Post
    No need for axles or track lock, even at higher power levels. The Ford 8.8 rears are tough sob's that will endure a lot of abuse. I've pounded the stock rear in my 2000 GT for years with over 400whp and it hasn't missed a beat. Take that cash and put it towards an aluminum driveshaft.

I'm running 4.10's and they work great for my application. At 65mph its revving around 2400rpm with a 25" tire in 5th. Coming thru the traps its at the very top end of 4th gear(6k rpm) at 124mph on a 26" tire. Not sure if the Mach and GT share the same gear and final drive ratio's, if so, I think you would be happy with either gear. If your careful removing and installing the axles after your gear change you don't need to replace your seals or bearings if both are fine.
    I already have a Ford racing aluminum driveshaft. I even polished it before I installed it lol (Old Pic Different exhaust and weld in connectors now)
    uploadfromtaptalk1453251260386.jpg
    I'm already dead set on the upgrade at this point. The main reason for the track lock was upgrading the axles. Just wanna make sure what I'm buying will work like the 2.5 inch ARP studs. I hate doing things twice. My reasoning tells me if I don't upgrade it while it's apart the first time and have to then buy all the parts and have them reinstalled I could've used that money for other things lol. I'll hold off on the bearings and seals though.

Quote Originally Posted by cam303 View Post
    4.30's and don't look back. This post is full of gear fear.
    I agree. I fear the gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by sutyak View Post
    Would this be any indication of the strength of Motive gears or too much play between the ring and pinion? I ask because I have some Motive 3.90's on the way.
    I had the exact same thing happen to the stock 3.55's in my first cobra. Nailed 4th getting onto the highway and broke it. Looked just like that where every tooth is cracked and one completely broken off. Scary thing is that it happened only a couple weeks after I returned from a cross country trip in the car, lol. That would have been a nightmare in the middle of nowhere out west. The car was at least driveable afterword, but you wouldn't want to go very far obviously.
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Lol that's ugly, how did it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeygrits View Post
    I already have a Ford racing aluminum driveshaft. I even polished it before I installed it lol (Old Pic Different exhaust and weld in connectors now)
    uploadfromtaptalk1453251260386.jpg
    I'm already dead set on the upgrade at this point. The main reason for the track lock was upgrading the axles. Just wanna make sure what I'm buying will work like the 2.5 inch ARP studs. I hate doing things twice. My reasoning tells me if I don't upgrade it while it's apart the first time and have to then buy all the parts and have them reinstalled I could've used that money for other things lol. I'll hold off on the bearings and seals though.
    Nice! The underside of your car is clean enough to eat off of!

Yellow is faster!
    Aaah the age old question of street vs strip and small vs big builds.

my .02 are to ask yourself what you can tolerate? Tolerate the bad gas mileage? Tolerate the slower ETs at the track? Tolerate the large cost of a full build? Etc, etc.

for me driving a 4.56 or 4.88 gear, spool, fully braced, full heim joint, anti-roll bar on the street is no sweat because I want every last drop of ET at the track!

also keep in mind that there is always a next step up for a build like this. Good luck. Let me know if you are still needing help making up your mind.

later
    Jason
    Jason

Just a little stock coyote that runs low 10s!

Quote Originally Posted by 04yellowcobra View Post
    Aaah the age old question of street vs strip and small vs big builds.

my .02 are to ask yourself what you can tolerate? Tolerate the bad gas mileage? Tolerate the slower ETs at the track? Tolerate the large cost of a full build? Etc, etc.

for me driving a 4.56 or 4.88 gear, spool, fully braced, full heim joint, anti-roll bar on the street is no sweat because I want every last drop of ET at the track!

also keep in mind that there is always a next step up for a build like this. Good luck. Let me know if you are still needing help making up your mind.

later
    Jason
    I'm pretty set on running a 4.10 gear for right now. I do a lot of freeway driving. Will the 2.5inch arp studs work for what I want to do? I wanna run a wheel setup like the car pictured below eventually unless it's a bad idea lol. On the rear he's running a Weld RTS 15x9.3 5.5bs with 275/50/15 tire. No rubbing with this size even on the banjo bolt. On the front he's running a Weld RTS 17x8 with a 245 tire. The front won't come this year so I'm focusing on the Rears. This way I can just let the wheels on with drag Radials and eventually get away from my heavy fr500s. uploadfromtaptalk1453786146685.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453786146685.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images