Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paint shop recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by George C View Post
    Silver doesnt match well with the flop it has..this is why most shops paint a hood then blend into fenders and bumper
    Yeah. The other quotes I got included blending it.
    I think the guy I mentioned above didn't want to blend anything hence why he said it wouldn't match. But still, if you tell me it won't match I don't really want you to paint something for me lol

Just a little 500 whp V6

Theres no gaurentee in matching when panel painting...Alot of shops buy the paint from suppliers based off your paint code...theres a variation based on paint codes..Example myb2002 truck, was repainted cause the paint code given didnt match the original paint..new paint was brighter...same paint code but different color

Silver is a very hard color to match

Even blending silver is almost impossible. With all the metallic, the edges will always show darker.
    Rob
    1 Monte SS. White.

Banned dates
    11/27/08
    4/25/11
    3/28/12
    12/1/12
    There are more but that's all that was logged!!!

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Theres no gaurentee in matching when panel painting...Alot of shops buy the paint from suppliers based off your paint code...theres a variation based on paint codes..Example myb2002 truck, was repainted cause the paint code given didnt match the original paint..new paint was brighter...same paint code but different color

Silver is a very hard color to match
    Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Even blending silver is almost impossible. With all the metallic, the edges will always show darker.
    I also learned just the other day about certain brands of paint will have different metallic shapes even though it's the same color, i.e. round/square/diamond flake. Crazy.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Also why depending on color the quote will vary...Ive been around alot of paint shops since I was a kid..Every painter will tell ya the same. Simple shit like Negro black that ford uses is simple....GM black has so many colors in it youll see variations

Terminated detailed my subaru and he saw the variations of red on that car...

So whole point of this just cause a shop says cant gaurentee a match doesnt mean they cant paint

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    F The Paint. Get Yourself A V8. Just Sayin Makes More Sense.

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Also why depending on color the quote will vary...Ive been around alot of paint shops since I was a kid..Every painter will tell ya the same. Simple shit like Negro black that ford uses is simple....GM black has so many colors in it youll see variations

Terminated detailed my subaru and he saw the variations of red on that car...

So whole point of this just cause a shop says cant gaurentee a match doesnt mean they cant paint
    This. Although the reds all looked pretty close also paint fades with time and sun exposure so that adds another factor. Ryan did my bumpers off the car and without blending. If you look at certain angles at certain times of the day there is only a slight difference, but compared to the factory paint on the side scoops on my car that are are way off (plastic vs. metal) in the shades, it's too close to call. I am very picky about my car and I am more than pleased with Ryan's work.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFast98Cobra View Post
    F The Paint. Get Yourself A V8. Just Sayin Makes More Sense.
    100% truth right here.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

FWIW, I've had panels on my car painted previously, and don't have a keen enough eye to be able to tell the difference.

As far as the v8....i've considered it a time or two. If (when) this motor goes, it is either getting a v8, or a 4.2 stroker with lots more boost (probably more likely)

Just a little 500 whp V6