Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Core Question

Heater Core Question

So - my beater DD has been having a bit of an odor to it as of late - honest, for a good bit of winter it would have a anti-freeze smell come from the heater for about 15 seconds and then go away. Carpets were never wet or anything, so I've let it go until very recently where its gotten significantly worse. But here's my question - would a leaky heater core cause the anti-freeze smell through the A/C? When the A/C is on, a bit of a smoke will come from the vents, and smells as described.... Still no wet carpets, but the smell is pretty bad, so i've got to do something about it.

Its a Chevy Venture minivan, but i don't think that makes a difference at the end of the day

Thanks
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari
    - bolt-ons, tune, lots of carbon fiber (642/671 rwhp/tq)

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Is this a 3100/3400? If the heater core goes then it goes, I don't think it's a gradual thing. Have the intake gaskets been done? If not, you could be getting a leak and the smell is coolant purging out onto hot engine parts.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

3100 3400 are known for intake gaskets failing...gm uses dexcool to help seal leaks.
    Dexcool is great until it mixes with air then its properties go to work clogging leaks or in many cases gm heatercores

So what youre smelling is coolant and your intake gaskets are probably due....job isnt hard but if you have to pay a shop your bill will be more thrn car is worth

you can also pressurize the system to find the leak ..intake or heater ?
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Smell of coolant is where fan draws in from...since its duct tract is under cowl which is above intake manifold.. This is very common on these motors

Ok so it sound like George thinks it's the intake gaskets, not the heater core, which would explain why the carpets aren't soaked...

Are there any additinal tests i can do to rule out heater core? Or be certain it's the intake gaskets? Just wanna avoid doing double work if I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Don't claim to be an expert, but if you are getting smoke (steam) from out of your ac vents that smells like anti freeze I would assume it would have to be the heater core because it shares the same duct work as the evap coil for the ac. Not sure how intake gaskets could cause this to happen out of your vents?

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    A heater core is just a radiator that coolant passes through to generate heat. I'd think that if it was blowing smoke that would mean that the coolant was on fire or smoking. Coolant is probably burning off somewhere which is where you see the smoke as it passes through. If you look down into the intake valley where the lower intake meets the block and the heads (almost directly under the intake tube), you may see coolant pooling up. As George said, it's such a common issue on those motors I would be willing to bet that is the problem, I had the same issue in my Beretta just no smoke through the vents. When the heater core went bad, my floors were soaked with DexCool. That car was a pile I fixed everything coolant-related on it.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

With intake gaskets being bad chances are your heatercore ia ginna need replaced

Dexcool acts as sealing agent....ever wonder why every s10/blazer or any other gm v6 that has intake that has coolant passing thru it has a clogged heater core...well now you know

Thank you for all the help from everyone.....

As of two days ago, the floors were not wet.... i did one last check last night, and indeed the carpets are wet with coolant, and I could see a small drip - So, i'm going to start with the heater core and go from there.... we'll see how much of a PITA that is....
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

I think you should just sell it and get something that's not a minivan
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman701 View Post
    I think you should just sell it and get something that's not a minivan
    or this, lol

Oh trust me, it's something that's high on my list once fixed.....

F CHEVY... Tore it apart last night... With any luck, will have it back together tonight

2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBish View Post
    F CHEVY...

Not just Chevy ...

Car design process starts with 10 meetings about where to place the heater core, then they build the rest of the car around that.

My Capri is a factory no AC car, a heater core change involves removing the glove box door, two screws o nan access panel, drain the coolant 1/2 way, two hoses, remove ... I never understand why that isn't more common across cars.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Got heater core fixed last night, but now my a.c. isn't as ice cold like it was... Dunno why..... I need to see if the a.c. compressor is kicking on.... When I hit the a.c. button, seems like there's no engine idle change or anything

2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Any thoughts from anyone? A.c. Doesn't get real cold anymore... Everything is hooked up... Seems like compressor is kicking in..... I dunno what I may have broken

2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Where u live heat is more important so id say job well done my friend.

Have it recharged

So i did this.... with one of the recharge kits you can buy.... I can hear the leak but can't pinpoint where its at... I must have jarred something when i was doing the heater core .... under the hood, the A/C goes through the firewall right beside where the heater core goes trhough, so i must have jarred something..... only thing i can think...
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Theres a core in the box for AC unit...if so youre gonna have to remove dash and then remove box and open up to get to ac core