Thread: Getting an Old A/C System Working Again

Getting an Old A/C System Working Again

'67 GTO, I've owned for 35 years, A/C probably hasn't worked in 20 years. The car has all of the original A/C components still installed. The compressor shows signs of leaking oil at the front behind the clutch, the sight glass in the drier is cracked. I don't believe that there's anything wrong with the condenser or the evaporator. I'd like to get the a/c working again.

I would assume that I'd want a more modern compressor (keeping the original), replace the drier. What else would I need to do to have the A/C working? I don't work on A/C myself. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on how you'd approach this system, what would you do to get the best result? Which refrigerant, etc.?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a local shop near Butler County that can do this scope of work on an old car?

Thanks in advance for any help I get!

I would fill it with R12, add dye, and try to run it and see what it leaking and working or not working and go from there.

Maybe GIS on Route 8 in Glenshaw? They do a lot of custom builds, might be of help. http://www.gisautomotive.com/
    ChuckT
    Sponsored by
    Wholesale Transmission - New Kensington
    Millerstown Pic A Part