Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At a crossroads with my Mustang.... what to do??

Quote Originally Posted by 95V6 View Post
    Drive the car to a junkyard and have it cubed. Then place the cube on Craigslist. You will get more for the cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The cake is a lie....

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by 95V6 View Post
    Drive the car to a junkyard and have it cubed. Then place the cube on Craigslist. You will get more for the cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lets be real, these were "budget/value" muscle cars when produced and made in massive numbers. They will and have depreciated accordingly, but so do 90% of all vehicles. My uncle has a habit of buying two year old Bently's because they have typically depreciated $50K-$80K in that time. Now that hurts. Modifications to Mustangs commonly return penny's on the dollar if at all. You seem to be in a real dark place of late with your Mustang and decision to modify it, but it's just the cost of the car hobby. We're all in that same club, it's an expensive pastime.

As for OP question, personally I have had horrible luck buying used terminators so I might be in the minority of saying I might keep and build your GT, it's at least a known quantity. I also can't stomach what 03-04 Cobra's go for these days considering if you want to make big power nearly everything needs upgraded anyway. My .02

I agree 100% with Cam about buying someone else's project. You already know your GT, so I'd stick with that. Once you get the motor, trans, and rear on the ground you realize how they're all the same car anyway.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

I bought my 2000 GT b/c I am cheap and did not want to go fast. It doesn't disappoint!!
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Been searching the net for a mildly modded Termi for a decent price and there's none to be found, so I've decided to stick with my GT and build it. The car is solid front to back, top to bottom, why move on to someone else's headache. Going to starting piecing together a Teksid or WAP, forged internals, cams, ported heads, etc. Shooting for 600rwhp. In the meantime i'm going to up the boost on this stock 2v until it begs for mercy lol. I'll get that 10 second pass.
    03 Cobra 10th Anniversary
    70 Nova SS

I think that is the right choice. You know your car and I have seen too many horror stories of buying a used "built" hot rod. Terminators are crazy money right now and if you get a crazy deal on one, more than likely they are junk. The owners of the clean ones know they have and sell them for top dollar.

I just bought a stock 03 cobra,had to go 600mi. for it , but a/c and a good radio is worth it.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    What does a built 2V cost? Would it be possible to get a 2015+ 5.0 crate motor and do the swap? You could easily make 600-700 horses and have a streetable motor compared to a stout 2V that would be less street and more track. More work for sure and probably more $$...but just a thought.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

A good 2v is dough...you can do a 4v for similar price and flow more if you chose navi heads

When i was in market for my lightnings replacement it was smart choice at first to go that route...i picked up entire complete navi motor for 150$ that had low oil pressure...i sold heads..kept block amd covers amd was ahead of game...stock navi heads flow 250 which is more then ported trick flows....my 5.4 has FGT heads cause of deal i got on them

But a 2v especially a 4.6 is waste of time and money...

Quote Originally Posted by silvernotch View Post
    I just bought a stock 03 cobra,had to go 600mi. for it , but a/c and a good radio is worth it.
    What is the mileage on the car? Mint condish and bone stock? What did you end up getting the car for if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    What does a built 2V cost? Would it be possible to get a 2015+ 5.0 crate motor and do the swap? You could easily make 600-700 horses and have a streetable motor compared to a stout 2V that would be less street and more track. More work for sure and probably more $$...but just a thought.
    Hoping I can build it for around $3500. Found a deal on a set of ported heads complete with blower cams, valves, springs, retainers etc. for $1400. Forged pistons and rods i'm probably looking at $1000-1200, bearings, gaskets and seals $300, block boring and machine shop work $300, ARP studs $200, possibly an aftermarket intake manifold and fuel rails $500, if budget allows. I'll be doing assembly and install, that will save me some $$$.

What I've read from the Coyote swaps, I'd be looking at $5-$6k. Then to add a turbo or blower on top of that would be another $4k or better. That amount of money just isn't feasible for me right now. Im building the 2v as a driver, no trailer/track queen here. Still retaining a/c as well as all power options and pump gas. Only issue I can foresee would be the bucking at low rpm, similar to the black 94 Cobra, not really that bad.
    70 Nova SS

Good set of pistons with rings are 1000 alone....rods in my 5.4 were 1300...unless you want chinese rods youre not going to do it that cheap

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    I was thinking your numbers were a little on the low side as well. Still, it will be cheaper than a Coyote swap like you said.

Ah....that black '94 Cobra was a fun little car on the CHEAP!

Good luck with the project. Time for a build thread!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Build a v6, 2 less rods and pistons to buy. Lol

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by George C View Post
    Good set of pistons with rings are 1000 alone....rods in my 5.4 were 1300...unless you want chinese rods youre not going to do it that cheap
    Going with Manley Forged 4032 pistons, 4130 chrome moly wrist pins, 18cc dish, w/ total seal rings and forged 4340 H beam's with ARP 8740 caps for $1100. Rated to 800hp. More then enough for this build.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Ah....that black '94 Cobra was a fun little car on the CHEAP!

Good luck with the project. Time for a build thread!
    That's the only car I've owned that I regret selling, Ron. I wish I still had it! I saw it advertised for sale on the Corral late last year, a guy from Georgia now owns it. He bolted up some Forgestars and was auto crossing it and doing well.
    Last edited by Dickbag 5.h0; 07-29-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    70 Nova SS

Friend is selling a clean white '04 Terminator with minimal mods. White, pretty sure under 40k miles. PM me if interested she isn't going to ask crazy money.
    2014 Mustang GT Stock and for sale
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100