Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At a crossroads with my Mustang.... what to do??

At a crossroads with my Mustang.... what to do??

Im at a crossroads with my 2000 GT. I've been giving this a lot of thought for quite a while and cant come to a decision. As my GT sets, its a low 11 second car, basically an internally stock 2v with a blower and supporting mods. I would love to get a 10 second slip with the stock 2v, and should have all of the necessary parts I need to do this, just haven't installed them yet and re-tuned. At that point this motor is on borrowed time. My dilemma is I want more power, 600rwhp-ish would keep my happy for a while...... so do I build a forged 2v long block for this car? Or stop where im at, part what I can part, sell the car and buy a 03-04 Cobra?

My figures put the built 2v long block in the $4-$5k range.... pistons, rods, cobra crank, ported heads, cams, machine work, etc. Add in a few other accessories to make everything come together and that's a healthy chunk of change to drop into this car, at the end of the day its still a 2000 Mustang GT. Finding a deal on a Terminator these days is nearly impossible. The Termi is obviously the much stronger starting platform to achieve these goals, but it comes at a price. With a ported blower, pulleys, and supporting mods it should put me in the neighborhood of where I would like to be. I would have more invested into this car to make the same power in the long run, but it also has room to grow if/or when I decide I wanted more.

Each has their pro's and con's. What would you do, and why?
    03 Cobra 10th Anniversary
    70 Nova SS

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    What's your "dream car".... If it is a Cobra then go for it. You will spend a bunch of $$$ either way you go. To me the key is loving what sits there when you open the garage door.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Junkyard 6.0 LS thr400 borg turbo...easy 1000rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Dickbag 5.h0 View Post
    Im at a crossroads with my 2000 GT. I've been giving this a lot of thought for quite a while and cant come to a decision. As my GT sets, its a low 11 second car, basically an internally stock 2v with a blower and supporting mods. I would love to get a 10 second slip with the stock 2v, and should have all of the necessary parts I need to do this, just haven't installed them yet and re-tuned. At that point this motor is on borrowed time. My dilemma is I want more power, 600rwhp-ish would keep my happy for a while...... so do I build a forged 2v long block for this car? Or stop where im at, part what I can part, sell the car and buy a 03-04 Cobra?

My figures put the built 2v long block in the $4-$5k range.... pistons, rods, cobra crank, ported heads, cams, machine work, etc. Add in a few other accessories to make everything come together and that's a healthy chunk of change to drop into this car, at the end of the day its still a 2000 Mustang GT. Finding a deal on a Terminator these days is nearly impossible. The Termi is obviously the much stronger starting platform to achieve these goals, but it comes at a price. With a ported blower, pulleys, and supporting mods it should put me in the neighborhood of where I would like to be. I would have more invested into this car to make the same power in the long run, but it also has room to grow if/or when I decide I wanted more.

Each has their pro's and con's. What would you do, and why?
    The cobras seemed to have bottomed out on pricing a year or two ago. I haven't seen them go down at all since then. You can probably get a nice ported eaton car for $18-$20K. It's not going to be faster than your car is right now though unless you spray it also. You could also get a decent twin screw car for not much more money and go a little faster. I doubt you'll ever get the money back if you spend it on your GT, but the cobra should hold it's value for quite some time.
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Are you from Huston? Is that yours for sale?
    -Barry
    2003 Ford Mustang Dark Shadow Grey 4.6L GT
    2004 Ford F-150 Super Crew Dark Shadow Grey 5.4L

I'd do the termy. Seems theyre holding their value. Basic gt new edge brings no money...

Don't forget the cost of upgrading the trans.
    mark
    '04 Mach 1. Built. Turbo. 667whp/631wtq
    '06 Focus. Built. Turbo. WMI. 12.43 @ 115 (sold)
    '03 Mach 1 : 12.61 @ 106.59 (sold)
    he's into that, that spiritual stuff. <><

If I knew what I know now I would have never bought a GT or Mustang for the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Barry

Gm swap it...youll be faster for less then that mod motor costs to rebuild.....its a body that has no real value....putting money into a 2v is like voting for clinton...its only gonna cause you to have nothing in the end

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    What's your "dream car".... If it is a Cobra then go for it. You will spend a bunch of $$$ either way you go. To me the key is loving what sits there when you open the garage door.
    Don't really have a "dream car"........ atleast not one that I can afford lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 95V6 View Post
    Are you from Huston? Is that yours for sale?
    No sir. Im 65 miles east of the Burgh.

Quote Originally Posted by George C View Post
    Gm swap it...youll be faster for less then that mod motor costs to rebuild.....its a body that has no real value....putting money into a 2v is like voting for clinton...its only gonna cause you to have nothing in the end
    Im partial to Ford's and Ford power plants. No interest in swapping an LS into it, or voting for that lying twat Hillary.
    Last edited by Dickbag 5.h0; 07-23-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    70 Nova SS

Quote Originally Posted by 95V6 View Post
    If I knew what I know now I would have never bought a GT or Mustang for the matter.

What would you buy?
    70 Nova SS

I was thinking of someone else then. And I'd buy nothing. I regret ever modding or doing things to cars. I would save my money. Obviously I've formed my own bias. I know everyone on here loves drag racing ect.

-Barry

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    X2 sell it and go visit the world. Trips out the country are way more fun then any car imo

Yes. I hear the zeeka virus is wonderful this time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Lol only in trashy places. Typical american answer you gave lol

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    If u want to get your money back out rebuilding 2v is dumb, GM swap is dumb, terminator is fiscally intelligent.

You could just put a small hit on yours and get that 10 for less money.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

coyote swap it
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

No such as thing as return on investment when you're trying to go fast. Unless you buy a car that holds value and you never drive. But then, what is the point ?

Just a little 500 whp V6

Drive the car to a junkyard and have it cubed. Then place the cube on Craigslist. You will get more for the cube.

-Barry

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    You're a ray of sunshine today Barry...
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands