Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 LS1/T56 swap build thread

Going to be a very cool build

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    It really is a sharp car - almost too nice to mess with. But it sure will be badass when its done!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Quote Originally Posted by bgblockelcamino View Post
    97 is the last year before CANBUS if recall? that is a good car to swap and plenty of room too.e36 is a lot bigger than e30 for swapping. also another helpful issue is plan on hydroboost to gain clearance around valve covers. i used a mustang hydroboost setup on last e36 swap i did.
    I believe CANBUS started with the E46, so '99? I know some of the kits had booster interference, but I don't think this one does. The engine sits low and it is moved towards the pass side to clear the ABS (which I am keeping).

Quote Originally Posted by sutyak View Post
    Can't wait for this to get started. Please post up lots of pics. That's a great looking car!
    Thanks. I am going to try and clear out my phone and start getting some pics up. Finally brought motor and trans home today. Diamond stage 3 clutch setup will be here in a few days, cam and harness won't be ready until the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    It really is a sharp car - almost too nice to mess with. But it sure will be badass when its done!
    Thanks Ron. But you saw it, it's nowhere near as nice as it looks in pics. Spotless underneath which is why I bought it but like 3 different shades of blue :)
    2014 Mustang GT Stock and for sale
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Yeah but all nice shades!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    I love the e36 M3 sedans.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Alright. Finally got some parts in and my buddy got the harness done, so started the party this past week into the weekend. Removed front clip, pulled BMW engine and trans...

While I was pulling it, got rid of all the AC BS and some wiring. Still a bunch to do with that, will wait until I get the LS in to get rid of anything major. Wasn't bad getting it out, managed to only cut a heater hose my dumbass forgot to disconnect before I had the whole thing hanging from one incredibly shitty Harbor Freight strap.

Pics of header and Diamond Stage 3 clutch..

Couple friends came down from around Philly for our halloween party and brought some goodies. LS harness with bullshit cut out and TSP Magic Stick 4 cam. I bought TSP springs, Ti retainers and pushrods. We got to work swapping everything over..

Was too lazy to pull the heads and didn't want to try the Russian Roulette method of spinning the cam and hoping the lifters didn't fall into the pan, so we turned it upside down.

More ghetto shit, motor is setup for a LS1 manifold so the ribs on the bottom of the LS6 manifold hit the steam tubes, took care of that issue too...

2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Got everything together, started putting the harness on the engine/trans. He labeled everything so even I couldn't screw it up. Should only be 4 or 5 GM harness to BMW connections I will have to make. Should be dropping it in this weekend. Still have to order O2 sensors and some other random stuff. Rest of fuel system parts should be here tomorrow. Running C5 regulator/filter combo, -6 AN up to rail, 255lph in tank.

Cleaned up a bit underhood. Not painting it, because I really don't care enough to. It looks good enough for now.

Before

After

Looks pretty much the same. Stay tuned, should have it sitting in the car this weekend. Hopefully running in a few weeks. Need to decide whether to have it mail order tuned or buy HPT and do it myself. Time wise will likely do the mail order thing. Pretty common setup.
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Looking good Mark. That power to weight ratio is going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Looking good Mark. That power to weight ratio is going to be fun.
    If it isn't faster than the Mustang, I am going to push it off a cliff...

Not much done today, threw valvecovers on and installed 255lph fuel pump. Motor and trans go in this weekend.

Nothing at all to do with cars, but I find this shirt somewhat appropriate...

2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

I bet she has a little Hitler 'stache...

Well, I realize this is the shittiest build thread in history so far, but I will ad an update anyway. I promise I will make up for it with plenty of track and hillclimb videos come springtime.

Last weekend got the engine and trans in.

The fit of the motor and trans mounts was acceptable IMO for how cheap this kit is. The oil pan is really close to the k member, so it is low as can be which I am happy with. This kit is marketed to clear the abs lines, which is the main reason I went with it. Didn't clear them at all...

Took that picture after I had lowered ABS unit around 2". Ended up working perfectly. Lines are as far away as most I see with relocated units, will cover lines and unit with heat shield or wrap headers after I get car back from cage guy. Have to get this thing running and interior gutted by mid december so the fine tuning stuff can wait. Picture also shows primary very close to coil pack, will likely just space up a bit and toss a 90 degree boot on. Other than that the headers went in very easily. Close to trans, but it all looks like it will play nice with each other.
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

The valvecovers are also really close to the brake booster. Looks like it won't hit. Trans is also touching tunnel in a couple places. No biggie, will clearance it later.

No picture of it, but got my JTR flange in, allows me to use 1310 u joints front and rear. Having custom driveshaft made. They sell them for the swap but they are like $700. No thanks.

Also stuck a 255lph pump in the tank.

Got tired of being covered in 20 years of Kraut leakage, so moved on into interior removal.

This was just was under the rear seat. Consistently amazed at how heavy BMW interior shit is. Every little piece I touch seems to weigh five pounds.

Started removing tar paper from floor, came off the floor from rear seat area rearward like this by hand...

That party ended pretty quickly. It got harder as I went forward.
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Millernaught stopped by last night, we pulled the sunroof out...

And started removing more difficult tar paper...

Not sure what kind of weight I'm going to drop removing it, but the garbage can is getting heavier and the car is sitting higher and higher. Car was just over 3200 before I started all this with 1/2 tank of fuel. Planning on weighing it before it goes in for the cage. Trying to keep cage as minimalist as possible while staying legal.

Gonna bet fuel system buttoned up this weekend, get steering shaft in and some other odds and ends. Hopefully figure out wiring (not my forte) next weekend and start this thing in a couple weeks.
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

cool build every little bit helps my coupe looks like a 4 wd with all the weight I have taken out of it so far
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

This build thread would be a helluva better if that dog is a husky and you post more dog pictures.

Just saying.

Additionally, as a long-time Ford & BMW enthusiast, I must say this Chevy-powered bastard you're building is really cool!

Huskies are great dogs and I'll never have anything other than one.
    Rob
    1 Monte SS. White.

Banned dates
    11/27/08
    4/25/11
    3/28/12
    12/1/12
    There are more but that's all that was logged!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Huskies are great dogs and I'll never have anything other than one.
    I used to think that but now I have two!

Still very intrigued by the LSM3.

Quote Originally Posted by gpfarrell View Post
    I used to think that but now I have two!

Still very intrigued by the LSM3.
    Haha!! I was inches away from adopting another last summer.
    Rob
    1 Monte SS. White.

Banned dates
    11/27/08
    4/25/11
    3/28/12
    12/1/12
    There are more but that's all that was logged!!!

You need two. These ****ers are nuts until you have two or more of them.
    2014 M235i (wife's)
    1964 Ford F-100

Shit Mark - how nuts was yours until #2 arrived? Gorgeous pups....but a tad intimidating!