Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paxton's 2014 GT mod thread

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar

Paxton's 2014 GT mod thread

After 4 years I finally have stepped up to mod my 2014 GT. She's a premium Track Pack car which gives her the Brembos, Torsen rear with 3.73's, Boss rad and oil cooler, and "upgraded" springs. I ordered her with the glass roof ( my favorite factory option ), leather Recaros ( love them too ), and spoiler delete. I've racked up 11,000 miles in four years while patiently waiting to upgrade some things. While supposedly an upgrade over non TP GT's the suspension left a lot to be desired. Tons of nose dive under braking, floating over bumps, and holy craploads of wheelhop....on the 1-2....2-3...and 3-4 shifts at the track. The best I managed in the few times at the track was 12.76@114 ( yes right lane ) with a 1.92 60'....
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

So last year I decided to upgrade a few things...

The car is so quiet stock that it is silly. I spent a lot of time listening to YouTube vids and cars in person and decided that Borla S-types were the perfect fit for me. Last fall I bought a set off a guy on SVTP. When they arrived my car was already away for the winter. So the Borlas sat patiently in the basement.

Last fall Mark A was putting his GT back to stock to sell so he could focus on his killer M3 LS swap hillclimb car. So I was lucky enough to get most of the goodies off his car. Yellow Konis front and rear ( fronts custom valved ) converted to coil-overs...BMR watts link...BMR LCA's and relo brackets...Vorshlag? Camber caster plates... Mark made me a great deal and the parts are top notch. He knows suspension and driving like Dak knows bourbon. 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 03-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

So...today Mark had some time available...so I loaded up the car and headed to his place. We installed all the suspension goodies and holy cow...it totally transformed the car. Mark suggested 450 lb coils up front and 250's in back. Stance is just right. Handling is amazing. Ride quality is better than stock, even on bad roads. No more brake dive. No more wheel hop. Hammer it and she just goes. The grip is amazing. It feels like the car lost 500 pounds. Thanks Mark!

After I got home I decided to put the Borlas on. Holy crap - I'm so glad I chose the S-types. Zero drone. No rasp. Just mellow buttery goodness at idle and under light throttle. Hammer it and she is a beautiful kind of angry. It is an amazing sound. No popping under decel - just a great burble and rumble. If anyone is considering an axle back setup, I can't say enough about these S-types. Look me up if you want to hear them in person. They cost more but they are worth it. There are used sets out there.

Anyway, here are some pics in stock trim with 4x4 stance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 03-25-2017 at 11:19 PM.

And here she is now. Not crazy low but just right for the hills and bumps I have to deal with...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last fall I picked up an SCT X4 from Koala Joe, so next on the list is a visit to Tim for a dyno tune. I'm definitely looking forward to raising the limiter, eliminating the throttle hesitation, and finding some extra ponies. Everyone knows 420 isn't enough...

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Wow looks great! Big wrench day

Looks good Ron

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    I approve this message.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Looks great. Stance is perfect to me.

Love the stance! Let me know how the tune works out. I have been nagging my dad to get one on his.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Next I need to get a rear sway bar that clears the watts link. The stocker was a no-go. After that a trip to the alignment shop. Then tune time.

I need to get back to wrenching on the '66 now...

Don't forget about the Olds!

Quote Originally Posted by 2000GT View Post
    Don't forget about the Olds!
    El Toro is officially covered, on dollies, and pushed aside until the '66 is ready for the track. I need to have only one project. 3 cars needing love and money at the same time is a bit much.

looks great nice job
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Gave you a deal on parts and then installed them too?

can't beat that kind of service.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    Gave you a deal on parts and then installed them too?

can't beat that kind of service.
    Mark is the real deal. He was really happy with the ride quality so that was great to hear.

Looks good!
    2001 Trans am WS6

Not Bad for 367 SAE RWHP Pure Stock's Avatar
    Who will be doing the tuning?
    2011 Mustang GT, MT-82, 3.73's :

BONE STOCK 12.223@115.18

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Stock View Post
    Who will be doing the tuning?
    I'm planning on going down to Tim's.

Not Bad for 367 SAE RWHP Pure Stock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    I'm planning on going down to Tim's.
    Nice!! You know it will be right.
    2011 Mustang GT, MT-82, 3.73's :

BONE STOCK 12.223@115.18