Thread: Need Help with brakes..

Need Help with brakes..

OK, I changed my pads and rotors on my 12 GT, I have the 14 GT500 rear rotors with the adapter on them. All I did was switch to drilled and slotted rotors and hawk pads, not my wheels rub the caliper. I replaced all the fluid with a power bleeder, only the rears rub. The center of the caliper is rubbing . I did NOT change wheels, and the GT500 adapters were on as well--all worked great. Just swapped rotors, pads and replaced fluid--what the hell can be going on? . I hope I am not overlooking the obvious?

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Did you accidentally flip the brackets?
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Did you accidentally flip the brackets?
    What do you mean by flip them? Upside down?

By flipped I mean did you put them back on differently...different sides of the car...or flipped 180 degrees...or did you use any shims that got reinstalled in a different orientation? If the same wheels and calipers and brackets are being used there has to be something amiss with the brackets.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

By flipped I mean did you put them back on differently...different sides of the car...or flipped 180 degrees...or did you use any shims that got reinstalled in a different orientation? If the same wheels and calipers and brackets are being used there has to be something amiss with the brackets.
    Im completely stumped. Brackets are on in the correct orientation, no shims were installed anywhere. Didn't swap sides. Im going to remove the slider pins and lubricate them and reinstall. I just can't think of anything else to do.

Are you 100% sure the rotors are identical? Maybe the new ones are the slightest bit shallower, bringing the wheel slightly closer to the hub causing the caliper to rub? Is it possible the adapter bracket is mounted on the wrong side (like inboard instead of outboard ) of the factory piece?

I feel your pain - stuff like this happens to me all the time.

Are you 100% sure the rotors are identical? Maybe the new ones are the slightest bit shallower, bringing the wheel slightly closer to the hub causing the caliper to rub? Is it possible the adapter bracket is mounted on the wrong side (like inboard instead of outboard ) of the factory piece?

I feel your pain - stuff like this happens to me all the time.
    Nope, all seems fine, was very careful to not mix parts, this always happens to me until someone explains something so obvious that I overlooked--ugh!

Last edited by John4cam; 04-29-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Meh, edit that. Read it wrong.

If it's just barely hitting you can get some 1/8" wheel spacers and that should give you enough clearance. They're usually pretty cheap
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

I have a pair of new 5/16" spacers if you want them. Not the best fix but you're welcome to them. I'm in Moon Township a minute from Robert Morris University.

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    -----
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    Edit: I also read it wrong.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

The most obvious thing is how worn were the old pads or I guess a better way to look at it is how much thicker are the new pads since that will move the caliper out accordingly
    2014 301a GT a6
    5c circle d conv, 3.31's, kooks l/t's & orh, stock intake, bmr susp

Isn't the total caliper width fixed regardless of pad thickness?

Isn't the total caliper width fixed regardless of pad thickness?
    Yes but the orientation of the caliper moves with pad wear. That's why they float on the pins.
    Rob
    1 Monte SS. White.

Banned dates
    11/27/08
    4/25/11
    3/28/12
    12/1/12
    There are more but that's all that was logged!!!

I didn't realize it was a floating caliper.

Well, Ive determined I installed everything correctly--im guessing they were only a couple millimeters clearance when first installed. I had the wheels powder coated and new hawk pads, I'm guessing the combination of the two made is the cause for contact--i could have just ground down the caliper a few mm, but I ordered a 1/8" spacer from CJ Pony.
    Paxton, I appreciate the offer for the spacers and probably would have taken you up on it if I had seen it first. Im guessing I amy even be able to remove them after the pads are seated and have a few miles on them.

No worries buddy. Glad you got it sorted out! Post up some pics once you're back together.