Thread: Looking for a riding mower

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar

Looking for a riding mower

Hi guys. My Father-in-law is turning 80 this month. He recently mentioned he wanted to get a small riding mower for cutting his grass, so I figured I’d try to find him one for his birthday. Let me know what you have and give me some specs and I will check it out. Thanks!!
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

He is gonna be 80 and still cuts his own grass and just now needs a riding lawnmower? God bless him!
    "Old Man"

I have a Craftsman Professional. It needs a battery. The tires go flat over a couple weeks. I am sure it could use some maintenance. I bought it new. I don't use it much anymore. $200.00

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    I think that was a hint for you to volunteer Ron.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    I think that was a hint for you to volunteer Ron.
    Haha - he likes to keep active. He still umpires baseball and refs football. He’s in a lot better shape than most guys his age. His Dad was too and made it to 99, so I’m not about to ask him to change. :-)
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

Quote Originally Posted by mustang50lx View Post
    I have a Craftsman Professional. It needs a battery. The tires go flat over a couple weeks. I am sure it could use some maintenance. I bought it new. I don't use it much anymore. $200.00
    Thanks for the reply - can you give me the year / model / specs? Other than the battery and tires, does everything work as it should? Tires need tubes or replaced? How many forward speeds? Does it cut well? Where are you located? A few pics would help also. Thanks again!
    Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 05-11-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby View Post
    Thanks for the reply - can you give me the year / model / specs? Other than the battery and tires, does everything work as it should? Tires need tubes or replaced? How many forward speeds? Does it cut well? Where are you located? A few pics would help also. Thanks again!
    I will try to get you more info this week. Just forward and reverse as far as speeds. I think the tires are tubeless. It is about 15 years old or so. I have to check the hours. It cuts grass, but I am sure the blades need sharpened or replaced. It does not mulch. That is the main reason I don't use it. It takes so long to rake grass up it is quicker to just cut it by hand. I had a bagger, but it clogged up all the time so I got rid of it. It hasn't been started in a year. I will try to get it running this week.

What are you looking to spend?

Hi all - my FIL is a little stubborn and bought a new Troy Built. Ugh! I tried to save him some $$$ but that’s how it goes.

That tractor will outrun his Studebaker!

Be a good son-in-law and cut his grass.......we know you aren't working on cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
    Be a good son-in-law and cut his grass.......we know you aren't working on cars.
    Hell Dan - my grass needs cut twice a week. No time to do his too! But I might test the new tractor...to make sure the cup holder works.

And for the record...I am getting SOME work done in the garage. Just not fast enough.