Thread: Possible rear swap

Possible rear swap

Ok fellas. I'm thinking about making some changes to the 387W Ranger. Since it was first built, over 20yrs ago, it's had a narrowed Mopar 8.75" rear diff. This was done since it already had a posi, good gears and only needed narrowed. This was before the prevalance of knowledge (to me) about the aftermarket availability of 8.8" parts. I was also being helped by someone that was a fat rear tire, pro street fan. So we narrowed it and tucked the tires on a budget while only having to pay for resplining the axles.

Fast forward two decades ahead. The motor has changed (3 times...maybe four), at least three C4's and three sets of gears in the diff. The change I'm debating is pulling the Mopar rear out and swapping in an 8.8". I have a disc brakes unit from a P71. Reason for the change...the right axle seal has seeped gear oil for years. Even after changing it several times, something is just not happy. Next reason...MOPAR gears are NO where to be found on the used market. I really want to swap in some 3.90's or 4.10's. But they are hard to find and expensive. Whereas 8.8" parts are much easier to locate. Third...disc brakes. I just think this would be a cool addition.

My rear suspension set up is unorthodox for a Ranger and a regular Ranger/Explorer housing will not be a direct bolt in. And I really like my deep offset rear wheels. So I need to locate someone to narrow a housing to match my current diff. I've seen enough DIY stuff to THINK about doing it myself but still not 100% sold on trying it. But...I have the housing already, so why not? Spare housings can't be that hard to find if I really jack it up. Then I just need to source a set of narrowed axles...that can't be too hard to do.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by John4cam View Post
    Ahh fuque
    1985 Ranger--2WD, basic bolt-ons and tires, 11.92 @ 111mph.

1986 Ranger--2WD, 5.0/T5/8.8.

sounds like a good plan
    Current Stable
    2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302
    1993 Red Cobra

Previous Stable
    2012 White Mustang-Traded
    2004 Competition Orange Terminator - Sold
    2003 Black Cobra-Traded
    1998 Black Cobra-Traded
    1991 White 5.0 Conv-Sold
    1986 Purple 5.0 Trunk-Sold to Psycho 5.0

https://www.facebook.com/steelcitymusclecars

https://www.facebook.com/cruisin.cranberry

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Hey dano i got strange 33 spline axles u can have cut and resplind. 4.10 gears and a strange spool. Lmk

Time to upgrade with the 8.8. Everything you said makes sense. FYI, I loved seeing that bad boy in person. Its Kick Ass!

Quote Originally Posted by TooFast98Cobra View Post
    Hey dano i got strange 33 spline axles u can have cut and resplind. 4.10 gears and a strange spool. Lmk
    Spool on the street?

4.10 would be nice. I'm realizing that the 3.55's are just not enough gear for the driving I'm doing with it now. 55mph is around 2500rpm with the tall tires...that's also nice but it's time to kick it up a notch. Wonder what ET improvement I'd see from 4.10's.
    Ahh fuque

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    Spool 4 life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
    Spool on the street?

4.10 would be nice. I'm realizing that the 3.55's are just not enough gear for the driving I'm doing with it now. 55mph is around 2500rpm with the tall tires...that's also nice but it's time to kick it up a notch. Wonder what ET improvement I'd see from 4.10's.
    I drive my spool all the time, just don't be stupid ...

don't fear the gear, if you thing a 4.10 is good, go 4.30 :D Gear is good
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    I drive my spool all the time, just don't be stupid ...

don't fear the gear, if you thing a 4.10 is good, go 4.30 :D Gear is good
    Define "stupid" in relation to a spool on the street...no tight figure 8's on a dry concrete parking lot?

Gear...to be honest...I have a third member for the Mopar rear set up with a traction lock (factory Mopar) and Strange 4.56's. THOSE are the gears that I fear.
    Ahh fuque

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Might be fun to toss in those 4.56’s and see how she feels.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

For sure tight turns in a parking situation ... was more directed at getting part way in a turn and romping on it ... it’s mostly going to the the direction it’s pointed at that second despite steering input to the contrary. Things like low speed turning and parking it’s just better to take a couple of shots at it than beat it up.

For both skinnies and a spool, if you drive it like it’s got either skinnies or a spool your alright. The life lesson you have to learn is what those really mean. Although I’m sort of joking, I would not do a spool for something I drove a lot. Perfectly fine to drive to car cruises or out to get ice cream but not going to run errands with it.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger