Thread: Ford GT40 X2 cylinder heads

Threaded View

Ford GT40 X2 cylinder heads

Well I sort of had an idea on where I was likely going with some "basic" mods to my bone stock 1994 Cobra, but what I read today changed my thinking. I had pretty much settled on the AFR 165 heads with a Tmoss ported lower stock Cobra intake and running stock camshaft. Now I read the stud mount rockers on the AFR's would require different taller valve covers which in turn would result in having to modify the alternator mounting.

I don't want to go there, and I want it to look fairly original. I don't need or plan on a drag car for the street. I hate to even bother with any of this but this Cobra definitely needs something. In the end 300whp, maybe 275 would work fine for me. But no nitrous "shots" or power adders, I want it N/A.

Just today I see these Ford GT40 X2 (note the XTWO). A newer version of the X - I assume. How long have they been around? I can find tons of info on the GT40's from cast iron to aluminum turbo swirl and Trick Flow and AFR and .... But what's up with the X2? I could re-use my stock 1.7 RR's and pushrods. They're about AFR territory money wise. If they could get me close to where I need to end up with less hassle I'd be better off I think. I won't be doing the work mind you, my days for that are long over. Somebody else needs to do it for me, someone who knows what they're doing.

Car has 62K mi. It's super clean. Has a minor drip from the oil cooler- I have a new O-ring for that. I still hate the 3.35 1st (why, why, why) but the 3.08 rear makes it more tolerable. I'm trying to say I like the car. But if it has the Cobra snake badge on it well then it should be able to make it into the 13's and have total reliable street manners without needing a $500 dyno tune (is that what they really cost?) every time you sneeze. Sorry, but I got by with carbs just fine back in the day with no "tuning" issues on some really fast cars. What's up with that ...

Whoa, off course. Anyway, M-6049-X2 is the part number I'm referring to. On a couple of sites it references fitting only certain Boss blocks, I think this is an error. Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by wht88cpe; 07-22-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Bone stock Rio Red 1994 Mustang Cobra