Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Capri build

New block is bored so I could order new pistons ...almost a shame to hide them under an iron head
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Not sure if this will work, but block rough bored. The block filler sure changes how it machines

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mXecgrogW7MERq8u5
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

SCE Pro copper ... looks innocent enough
    Bob Myers ©

Just out of pure curiosity just for knowledge purposesdoes it seem more rigid while machining? Didnt u use a different filler this time? Did it seem better?

Machinist said you can tell it’s filled. Said “it doesn’t sound hollow”.

yes, I used a filler called RokBlock from Competition Products versus the standby Hard Block.

i guess we will see long term, but as far as actually filling the block this stuff was MUCH easier to work with. Hard Block always feels like it’s fighting you and the iron stuff falls out of suspension. The. rokBlock is more soupy and pours really easy. Went into all the gaps and is claimed to adhere better. It goes off in 15minutes so it’s seems sort of epoxy based.

on mine the water pump insets in the block so I need to use a plug to make space for the pump. With HardBlock every time I pull that plug out, the filler crumbles out behind the plug and #1 jug. ... with the Rokblock I pulled the plug and the stuff was perfect and adhered.

in the end we may never know. We found the old block was .095 where it split. This one is now .130 on thinest spot. I guess if the thicker block splits, we know it’s crap, lol.

In the end we will never really know. I have a buddy that fills his blocks to the deck and still splits them. He is on methanol so can get away without water but makes 800 hp or more. Talking with people I trust, the consensus is the splits start at the top of the cylinder and work down. I’m not filled the top 1 1/2 under the deck so ...

my last block beside the split, the holes was still round so the filler does something anyway.

we are also changing up the ring package for this bullet.
    Bob Myers ©

Picked up a few aluminum bends of a few styles to see what works best to work with.

3” charge pipe is pretty big, lol.
    Bob Myers ©

Bore, deck, line hone, etc. all done on the new bullet. Ready for final hone, then plan to cut the o-rings sometime over the holidays. Making progress anyway.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    I can run A/W ... the problem is for True Street we can’t add ice except after the cruise and before 1st passthen it’s done. My IAT is under 130 degrees on a 90 degree day with A/A so it’s not a big deal. The intercooler I have is just likely on the small side for the power I’m making now.

yes Race Gas, running Renegade Pro 110+, same as C12 but less cost. I’m likely going to switch to their version of C16 for next season.
    are you running sensors that may be a problem with leaded fuel and how do you handle that

Quote Originally Posted by mgtf289 View Post
    are you running sensors that may be a problem with leaded fuel and how do you handle that
    the only thing affected is my wideband sensor.

iput a fresh one on to start the season, and keep one around in case I make a change that I want a good look at the tune. Otherwise I usually put a fresh one in for the good fall air.

sensors are just a cost of doing it to me. Once I’m dialed in the spring, I’m usually good through the summer without one,
    Bob Myers ©

Thanx for response. Tim wants me to go to 110 and I was concerned. A friend of mine says he allows his sensor to heat up before starting and has no issues

The lead will get it sooner or later.

my junk does not use the wideband for anything except a gauge unless I give it authority to do something so it’s along for the ride most times.

typically I come out in the spring with combo changes and use it to dial in the tune. Through the summer I’m just racing so it’s just a reference.

im surprised yours isn’t on race gas already, I think it’s a great safety
    Bob Myers ©

I’ve been running Sunoco 104 unleaded but Tim wants 110. At PRI I found Renegade 109 unleaded that I may try

You can get Renegade from Spray it Racing in mount pleasant. He does a big order in spring, but carries a lot and will get you what you need.

i but the Pro 110+ by the 55 gallon drum to mostLy make a season. This year I’m moving to 116+ or a mix. I considered going to the Ignite but my fuel system would be a real challenge.
    Bob Myers ©

You ever get tired of dumping money in a weird engine choice Bob?

Considering dropping some more coin on mine over the winter (new turbo, re worked hotside), but starting to wonder if it is worth it anymore and have thought many a times about going to some sort of mod motor.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
    You ever get tired of dumping money in a weird engine choice
    constantly ....

when I split the block at the end of the season I asked myself WTF was I doing ... the reality is, I am heavy into this oddity, and you know the TurboFord crowd .., stuff I own is worth pennies on the dollar resale, so what can I do? To start over with other platform I won’t get the down payment on anything else out of my stuff, every option I considered is a $10k starting point to get into, and keeping what I have is a couple of grand ... at a minimum, I had to build a new short block to even get anything out of the parts there.

I really looked at going Coyote, but the reality is, I would need a power adder to get back to where I’m at now, and it’s not cheap to build one that can race the way I do.

its a trap, it is what it is ... a few moments of glory mixed with a whole lot of suck ... the feeling passes when it does good, but no doubt I’m playing with a dinosaur.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    constantly ....

when I split the block at the end of the season I asked myself WTF was I doing ... the reality is, I am heavy into this oddity, and you know the TurboFord crowd .., stuff I own is worth pennies on the dollar resale, so what can I do? To start over with other platform I won’t get the down payment on anything else out of my stuff, every option I considered is a $10k starting point to get into, and keeping what I have is a couple of grand ... at a minimum, I had to build a new short block to even get anything out of the parts there.

I really looked at going Coyote, but the reality is, I would need a power adder to get back to where I’m at now, and it’s not cheap to build one that can race the way I do.

its a trap, it is what it is ... a few moments of glory mixed with a whole lot of suck ... the feeling passes when it does good, but no doubt I’m playing with a dinosaur.
    Having the same struggle.
    Really need to drop some coin to get my turbo kit right....
    But hate to keep putting money in this stupid setup.

On the other hand I'll spend twice to three times as much to start over.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Setting ring gaps ...
    Bob Myers ©

Should be making tractor noises soon
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by yeahloh95 View Post
    Should be making tractor noises soon
    no instant gratification with my engine builds ... one last bearing clearance check, then off to cut of o-rings ... hopefully able to start assembly in a couple of weeks.
    Bob Myers ©

Not Bad for 367 SAE RWHP Pure Stock's Avatar
    Looking good Bob! Be ready for spring?
    2011 Mustang GT, MT-82, 3.73's :

BONE STOCK 12.223@115.18