Thread: Who do you trust for a windshield replacement?

Take care of your Member excell's Avatar

Who do you trust for a windshield replacement?

My F150 got a temperature/pressure crack over the winter. I will get it replaced with an OEM SoundScreen, but not sure which installer to trust. I baby the truck more than my foxes so I don't care about the cost, I may even pay out of pocket to make sure it's done right - I just don't really want some garden variety Safelite installer scratching the hell out of it or leaving behind adhesive blobs, etc. I don't want it treated like the average 2001 Toyota Corolla. Anyone y'all trust?
    2016 F150 Lariat 2.7l 501A
    1989 Mustang LX vert; 347 stroker and more
    1986 Mustang SVO Comp-Prep (9L)

I had Safelite do three windshields since it was through my insurance. As you might expect, it can vary from one technician to another. The first two were fine. The third in the 350Z wasn't good. There was an air leak after installation. The first two attempts to resolve it, I think they didn't believe me and didn't even drive it. So I showed up with a compressor in the passenger seat, all the trim removed, and made someone put their hand on the outside to feel the air coming through. This technician told me all about the assembly process at the factory and knew what the other technician did wrong before even pulling it.

I know that wasn't a recommendation on where to go, but it confirms your concerns.
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
    2021 Acura RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff95TA View Post
    I had Safelite do three windshields since it was through my insurance. As you might expect, it can vary from one technician to another. The first two were fine. The third in the 350Z wasn't good. There was an air leak after installation. The first two attempts to resolve it, I think they didn't believe me and didn't even drive it. So I showed up with a compressor in the passenger seat, all the trim removed, and made someone put their hand on the outside to feel the air coming through. This technician told me all about the assembly process at the factory and knew what the other technician did wrong before even pulling it.

I know that wasn't a recommendation on where to go, but it confirms your concerns.
    Yea, I had one done in a TrailBlazer I owned years ago with Safelite and I was just not impressed. There were sealant blobs I could see around the edges and it drove me nuts. Like you said, it's not an admonishment of Safelite as a whole - I know there's great techs there as well as not great techs - but I'd rather find a local guy who cares and is consistent and I'm happy to pay for that.

I used this place recently for my explorer. They came to my house and replaced it in my driveway. Install looked good and it was cheaper than other national chains.

https://www.jeffsautoglass.net/
    2015 Charger Hellcat
    2.4" upper pulley, ID1300 injectors, BAP, E85 tune, Cat Delete Pipes, One Piece Drive Shaft, Diff Brace, 305/35/20 555R's for the street and 305/45/18 MT ET Street R's for the track. 9.97@142 Best ET

85 GT
    Heads and Cam plus other bolt ons

73 F250
    Lifted, 35's, 460 4spd

Real name = Ray

Will Work For Car Parts Terminated's Avatar
    I Have heard good things about Jeff's Auto Glass, and I have used Chester Auto Glass in the West End before, but that was a while ago. I am not sure he is still in business or not.
    Dan -- 2003 Cobra DSG Coupe #6009

If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it. If it's marketed right, you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it. IG: @donuttrump

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by excell View Post
    I don't want it treated like the average 2001 Toyota Corolla.

01 Corolla qualifies for classic plates now and antique plates in 5 more yrs.

nuts.
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Thanks all for the Jeff's suggestion - seems to be right up my alley!

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    01 Corolla qualifies for classic plates now and antique plates in 5 more yrs.

nuts.
    No foolin'!

The only one I’ve ever used is a local glass company. The same one that I ran into installing a shower door on a job I was working last week and the same one that made a set of glass shelves for me this week. It’s the kind of place I can walk in the front door and if I don’t see anyone I’ll walk on out the back door and into the shop. Eventually I’ll run into someone who knows me by name and probably knows why I’m there.

The thought that there were national companies that do this sort of thing hadn’t quiet registered until I saw this question
    Last edited by AlexPhilip; 12-09-2021 at 06:26 PM.