Thread: A little bit of Ford History as my next project

Threaded View

A little bit of Ford History as my next project

We made a trip up to Michigan this weekend to meet “an old Ford Racer” that offered me a piece I never thought I would get to own.

back in the day, Ford actually supported the 2.3 and it was used in SCCA racing and such with the SVO’s and the Merkurs. In a lot of that, they was allowed more displacement.

a Ford power train engineer in the day was also land speed racing a Merkur with semi factory support. He also realized they needed more displacement and led a program to build a bigger mousetrap. This resulted in what we all call the “tall deck” block.

The stock deck height on the 2.3 is under 8 1/2”. the blocks was made with a 9” deck height, but more important to me, a thicker deck and Siamese cylinders.

when they was made the intention was to run 100 blocks. They did, but had issues at the Brazil foundry with porosity and a number of them was scrapped.

these blocks was in the Ford SVO catalog (Ford Motorsport or Ford Racing) but a lot of them went to the racers. They still exist, but are really hard to actually get your hands on
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger