Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 annual Capri upgrades

2022 annual Capri upgrades

Lol, I know not another upgrade thread.

Relatively small plans for the car this winter. I have started the build of my new bullet, but with the supply chain issues and not even considering that I will have it done to start the new season. That build is going to need very custom pistons and rods, and lead times are just terrible. It will come, but hoping I can have it ready to swap in mid summer.

Anyway, since the new bullet is coming slow, I’m going to try some stuff to address a few nagging issues and get some stuff tested so i I know where to go with the new bullet.

details as I go through the progression …
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

First on the list of problems …

im running a billet water pump in a filled block (that acts like a pump housing) and had the pump overdriven. found out when they developed that pump, they was making 25-30# of coolant pressure with it under driven. I didn’t get pressure data on mine, but believe it was high, and worth trying.

I got a set of old school pulleys with my new block so swapped over. Also went from a serpentine belt to a single V Groove.

another benefit is slowing down the alternator. I seem to eat one a season based on the RPM it sees.

a few pictures, old parts and new ….
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    .........V-Belts.......

Looks good Bob!
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    .........V-Belts.......
    lol, going backwards in technology. Next operation is going “backwards” too, going to try an old technology camshaft.

more to come on that.

wont be as “exciting” but also plotting to go back to my “wheelie” suspension set up.
    Bob Myers ©

cant wait to see it run this year
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by yeahloh95 View Post
    cant wait to see it run this year
    no intent to go any faster. Just trying to fix a few nagging issues I’ve had and go rounds. Really done chasing numbers.
    Bob Myers ©

Thanks for the update on “Freak Show”, just thinking about you rowing that
    beast down the track makes me wish for spring all that much more.
    FEPFTW (Four eye power for the win)
    Lil' Blackie, also a Rodeheaver hot rod

Black Bess : n/a 347 T56 magnum,426 hp/ 427 tq
    Best time at Keystone 11.68, best speed 122.95 mph (right lane)
    Built, tuned & made possible by Tim Rodeheaver
    Rodeheaver's Hot Rod Shop
    15 W. Cross Ave.
    Masontown Pa. 15461
    724-737-5088
    www.RodeheaversHotRod.com

Between dreaming of making passes & dealing with the fact that I shift
    like a sloth, I’ve been wondering about your 2 engines.
    What kind of boost & hp do you need to run your 10 flats?
    How about your all out Hero runs? What’s your current displacement?
    What will the new lump measure out to be?
    Finally what your race weight works out to be?

15 W. Cross Ave.
    Masontown Pa. 15461
    724-737-5088

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT View Post
    Between dreaming of making passes & dealing with the fact that I shift
    like a sloth, I’ve been wondering about your 2 engines.
    What kind of boost & hp do you need to run your 10 flats?
    How about your all out Hero runs? What’s your current displacement?
    What will the new lump measure out to be?
    Finally what your race weight works out to be?
    wow, an actual discussion, lol…. I’m game.

I run the car at 37# in most “normal air” for 10 flat. The only HP numbers I have are from MPH / weight calculator that says something around 550. I haven’t put the car on the dyno since I’ve started running the soft lock clutch. Just not something you should do.

all out the car is 40# of boost and right at 600 hp. I can’t put any more boost than that in the car because my controller will only read / control to 40#. I’m usually 38# for 9.90. This was about all out …

https://youtu.be/7Fct9nx0TVA

engine in car is true 2.3 combo bored .030 over so 142 cubic inches (stock is 140j stock crank and 5.2 rods.

the new combo has a taller deck and longer stroke. It will come out at 2.6 liters or just about 160 cubic inches. It will have a great rod ratio and should make good torque. Lots of potential in the new combo, it is capable of going out to 2.85 liters although I have no plan to go that far. Again, goal is to do what I’m doing without having to wring it’s neck every pass and add more durability.

car, with me in it, and fuel went across NMRA checked scales in Bowling Green at 2805# after it went 9.91 (video of that pass). I really wish I could find 200# more but I would need a jockey driver and a lot of money.

https://youtu.be/23HluO4QUck
    Bob Myers ©

Bob, more questions, what about the bore & stoke dimensions?
    Is this like a turbocharged Pinto mill? Will the new lump have the
    same bore, just with a longer stroke? Old mill has a stock crank?
    Unmodified, what is it putting up with? Two & a half, three times
    the stock output? Or am I underestimating that?
    Peace out, dude.

15 W. Cross Ave.
    Masontown Pa. 15461
    724-737-5088

Factory Stock is 3.78 bore and 3.13 stroke.
    I build my stuff .030 over always so 3.810 bore and 3.13 stroke with a stock 5.2 rod

the new block will also be built with a 3.810 bore, but a 3.50 stroke and likely a 5.7 rod. Still debating on piston design so that might make me use a 5.6 rod. The deal is as you increase stroke the swept area increases compression, so I need a lot more dish to not raise compression.

I have always used factory cranks to this point. “Unmodified” isn’t really fair. We put a lot of detail work into the crank with inspection, straightness, then the fillets and radius job. I always say it’s a “race prepped” stock crank. It’s all details.

as far as output over stock, I guess it depends on what you compare it to. The same crank was used in 90 hp NA deals, my 84 came with 140 hp, and I guess the best of the 2.3 stuff came stock at 205hp in the later SVO … so I guess versus the best Ford sold it’s 3x

one of my friends has made 800 HP on a factory crank. It lived until he detonated it hard and the crank came out in 8 pieces. He just doesn’t do that any more, lol.

an interesting bit, these are actually a flat plane crank and stock have no counterweights. My 3.5 stroke crank is counterweighted and a lot heavier.

even stranger, I am still considering putting a stock crank in my new block and will still end up with a 2.3 based engine, just a long rod version. It would save me a lot of money and be much easier to build.
    Bob Myers ©

Thank you very much. Please share pics when you have them
    to post.

15 W. Cross Ave.
    Masontown Pa. 15461
    724-737-5088

This post has got me to reminiscing, both my father & my wife wheeled 88 Ford Thunderbird
    turbo coupes. They had intercoolers fed through one of the hood scoops. (I think the other was
    nonfunctional) sounds like maybe the same family as your engine’s starting point. IIRC, Ford
    rated those at 190 hp. They were not that quick but had a surprisingly good top end charge.
    Maybe a function of the aero? I’m always talking about how vehicles are(were)slugs. You
    know what wasn’t? A Bimoto YB4 (& a lot of other bikes in general). That thing would pull hard
    to 7 grand & was insane to redline at 11K. It felt like when the Star Wars ships when they went into
    “hyperdrive”. Lol
    Last edited by 86GT; 02-08-2022 at 09:03 AM.

15 W. Cross Ave.
    Masontown Pa. 15461
    724-737-5088

Last season I fought pushing water any time I turned the boost up. Sort of part of the game with copper head gaskets, but I. Going to get ahead of it.

changes I made to water pump drive are intended to slow the pump down and reduce pressure.

going to replace the gasket and give the Holomar stuff a try. Spray for the bulk of the casket instead of copper spray, blue for around the oil parts and the rings, then red for arounf the water parts. Their claim to fame is the stuff never really dries, and is supposed to be able to be repositioned. Hoping if the head lifts, this stuff will seal back up.

experiemnt anyway
    Bob Myers ©

And finally the “LS the world” guys got me…

new cam is going to require a higher installed height for the bigger lift. Head is currently set up for 1.70 installed height, needed a set up for 1.80. That coincidentally is what the LS stuff is, so springs are abundant. PAC ,ales this spring in the RPM series that will set up around 150# in the seat, and give me 350 open while still being able to use my existing retailers and such. Really happy to get a quality spring in this thing.
    Bob Myers ©

Picked up my Tall Deck from the machine shop. It’s been cleaned, new plugs, and we got the deck squared to establish final height. My next steps is to fill it and let it cure while we struggle through getting parts (rods and pistons).
    Bob Myers ©

This has been a long, and frankly ridiculous road …

as part of my win in Kentucky, McLeod offered me a complete soft lok in place of the RXT.

I started this process in October, and the guy I was talking to left the company. Basically had to start over in January with another guy. Randomly, my custom flywheel showed up, but no clutch or pressure plate. Reached out, and you guessed it, another guy left the company. I think they finally have the rest of my parts coming in a few weeks.

if I had known, I would of just took the RXT and sold it, terrible experience from a company trying to get me to use their product.
    Bob Myers ©

Finely, someone had something to say. Glad to hear your making "slow " progress. Looking forward to see how all your hard work turns out. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
    1988 Mustang 408 W. All Motor New Best 5/5/18 10:15 @ 131 mph.
    1964 Chevy SS Convertible 327 300 HP.
    1964 Chevy SS Hardtop 327 250 HP. Sold 2017.
    1954 Ford Radical Custom Convertible.
    1991 GMC Sierra 1500-SLE 1/2 Ton Reg. Cab Short Bed.
    1930 Model A Sport Coupe Owned Since 1970 Sold 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Gypsy View Post
    Finely, someone had something to say. Glad to hear your making "slow " progress. Looking forward to see how all your hard work turns out. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
    yeah, seemed dead so I figured I would throw something out, lol.

im so far behind this season It’s ridiculous. Last year I was in a rush to do my chassis cert and make my license passes. This year I’m trying to get parts for anything. It’s frustrating.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    And finally the “LS the world” guys got me…

new cam is going to require a higher installed height for the bigger lift. Head is currently set up for 1.70 installed height, needed a set up for 1.80. That coincidentally is what the LS stuff is, so springs are abundant. PAC ,ales this spring in the RPM series that will set up around 150# in the seat, and give me 350 open while still being able to use my existing retailers and such. Really happy to get a quality spring in this thing.
    i plan to run the pac 1222 this year in my new combo
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE