Thread: Raced at my first SCCA Solo2 event this past weekend

Hybrid View

Raced at my first SCCA Solo2 event this past weekend

Wow, this is the first thread in this section.

As many of you know my car has been down since April of 2005 and as such I haven't done any racing. Recently a few guys I know started going SCCA Solo2 racing. I knew a few guys that have been doing it for a few years, but it never really interested me. I mean the thought of going around a parking lot avoiding cones didn't seem like much fun. Well, two weeks ago Troy (yeahloh95) went with his SVO and told me about how much fun it was and talked me into going. A few things came up and he wasn't able to make it so I tagged along in my wife's Mr2 Spyder with a few of the local import power hitters. Here's the cars I went with: (Troy can add more to what they have done as he is better friends with them than I am)

-Suby STi with a front mount, full exhaust, numerous bolt-ons est 350+hp
    -Evo MR with a HKS turbo kit upgrade and more. est. 400+hp
    -Evo with a Gt35R turbo upgrade, numerous bolt-ons est 400+hp
    -Nissan Skyline GTR est 400hp

On the way there I kept telling these guys not to laugh at me if I sucked because I'm a staight line racer, not a brake and turn one. It was all I could do to keep up with them on the way to the race, I mean I was easily 200hp down from the next closest car as mine makes 138HP at the crank. When we got there I asked them if my car's tongue was still hanging out from trying to keep up.

So I get to the line and I start trembling like a leaf, I hadn't felt like this in a long time and it made me realize how much I liked racing. I asked my buddy Mike to go with me for the first two runs to give me some pointers and show me the lay out of the track. It was nearly a mile long course and NOTHING like I had expected. The thing was HUGE! I was hitting approx 60mph on the back stretch! I thought it'd be this little parking lot race between a few cones, boy was i wrong. It was still a race between cones but it definitely wasn't small. I took the first run easy and clicked off a 81.36 second run. the second and third run I was off coarse due to missing a gate (I know I'm a newbie!). The fourth run was clean but I pushed it too hard and tried to power through the coarse and ran a 78.563. On the last run I decided to try a little easier and tighter approach and it paid off with a 74.971, which had a PAX index of 60.951.

Here's how the rest of the guys did:
    Sti- 77.323 PAX time of 65.183
    Skyline- 77.072 PAX time of 67.900
    Evo with GT35R- 76.752 PAX time of 64.855
    Evo with HKS turbo kit- 75.450 PAX time of 63.755

For more results go here, I'm car 128:

http://www.scca-cpr.org/Files/archiv...FallEvent4.htm

Out of 10 competitors in street tire novice (STN) I ended up taking 2nd place and the Evo with the HKS kit took 3rd. Needless to say I was shocked at how well the little go-cart went. I don't know if it was beginners luck, the MR2's power to weight ratio, or my superb driving ability (yeah right!) but I couldn't believe I did as well as I did. I was also shocked at how much I liked this, or should I say LOVED this. This is defintiely more fun than drag racing and it has me re-thinking my plans for the car now. My '95 will never be much of a contender for this type of racing due to its big weight, small brakes, and lack of handeling suspension mods, but I'm defintiely going again when I get it on the road. I may have found the new direction my '90GT will take.

Here I am driving my wife's Mr2 Spyder, AKA "The Go Kart"

Here's a few of the guys I went and had a blast with. These are some POTENT imports that definitely get my respect!

Zach's 2.3L stroker, Gt35R turbo'd EVO:

Dobber's HKS turbo and suspension equipped EVO:

Wilkes' STi with a front mount and exhaust:

Roy's Skyline GTR with upgraded turbos:
    -Paul

1995 GT 'vert
    Best times on old 302 combo:
    12.03 at 112.5mph NA
    Best time with 9:1 compression NA dart block 331 setup:
    11.50 at 121mph
    Dyno'd: 415rwhp/410rwtq

2004 Z16 commemorative edition Z06
    100% stock: 11.9 at 118mph

Out abusing the Wife's car again I see!

I've always wanted to try that. Figure the Cobra with the IRS shouldn't be too bad at it. It for sure has the power to put up some big speeds on the straight aways.

Looks fun Paul. congrats on doing so well.

Congrats on your times.

Ahh, another convert to the dark side. Before you give up on the stang talk to Sam Strano (the guy on the top of your results link) the next time your out and 1. ask him to drive your car on a fun run with you as a passenger, this will let you know just how fast the car can be and 2. talk to him about what you can do to the stang to make it competetive you may be surprised how little you need to make the car a contender in f-stock which is where you'll probably be classed.
    We in the Pgh area are lucky because we have the SCCA and also a local club that have solo2 so twice as many events.
    2012 Corvette Grand Sport
    2012 Mini S "Winter Beater"
    2008 F150 "Corvette Support Vehicle"

yeah i had a blast the week before in the svo and can't wait to go again
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by fx-man View Post
    you may be surprised how little you need to make the car a contender in f-stock which is where you'll probably be classed.
    We in the Pgh area are lucky because we have the SCCA and also a local club that have solo2 so twice as many events.
    Hes got too much suspension stuff. hed have to go right to C prepared or street mod probably. some of you guys should come up to our events in the spring.the course might be a little smaller because we wont probably be able to use the runway yet but its still a pretty fun course. if you do you wont believe what a 79 fairmont can do. and the car in my avatar is ther one i run in c prepared. ive been tweaking stuff all season and it finally paid off at the last event and got a first place trophy.
    Last edited by JETHRO; 10-17-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i1arunit View Post
    I've always wanted to try that. Figure the Cobra with the IRS shouldn't be too bad at it. It for sure has the power to put up some big speeds on the straight aways.
    Dude there's a practice session this sunday at Beaverun and the final NHSCC event is the 22nd at North Park. You should come out to one so's I don't have to be the only Cobra there.

Here's a video of a run from the north park event. http://www.animalspots.com/movies/9-24-bestrun.mov

Quote Originally Posted by fx-man View Post
    Dude there's a practice session this sunday at Beaverun and the final NHSCC event is the 22nd at North Park. You should come out to one so's I don't have to be the only Cobra there.

Here's a video of a run from the north park event. http://www.animalspots.com/movies/9-24-bestrun.mov
    No good this weekend. I have a buddy who's Mother passed away. Probabally won't make it to any till next year.

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i1arunit View Post
    Out abusing the Wife's car again I see!

I've solo2'd my old GT and the slowbra....doesn't really matter the IRS is there....especially for a novice like myself....it's all about the TIRES...and the 555's proved to be pretty good for a street tire!!!
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Killercanary, were you turning better laps then your buddies? Even though they are making 3x as much power? And what is PAX? That sure does look like fun, I have been contemplating it for some time now. I would only have to change EVERYTHING on my car. Lol.

Dang that GT-R is BEAUTIFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTED98GT View Post
    Killercanary, were you turning better laps then your buddies? Even though they are making 3x as much power? And what is PAX? That sure does look like fun, I have been contemplating it for some time now. I would only have to change EVERYTHING on my car. Lol.

Dang that GT-R is BEAUTIFUL!
    Yes, as surprising as it sounds I did best every one of them despite being way down on power and experience, and running my 2wd versus all of their AWD cars. I think a LOT of it had to do with the extreme light weight of my car. It braked and accelerated well. I've seen guys get these cars into the 2000lb range, stock they weigh around 2500lbs.

Pax is a "handicap" of sorts that allows for comparison of cars that are in different classes based on mods, power, tires, and levels of upgrades. There may be more to it than that, but that is basically how it was explained to me.

The Skyline IS a BAD ASS ride! It has so many cool features!
    -Paul

1995 GT 'vert
    Best times on old 302 combo:
    12.03 at 112.5mph NA
    Best time with 9:1 compression NA dart block 331 setup:
    11.50 at 121mph
    Dyno'd: 415rwhp/410rwtq

2004 Z16 commemorative edition Z06
    100% stock: 11.9 at 118mph

Your next step needs to be a race track. I went to an autox thinking I would be interested. I realized I need to get on a racetrack after that. Mustangs are pretty heavy and flexible for the autox scene. I have been running around with NASAproracing the last couple of years. It is fun! We ussually do a date in June at Beaverun. Next year's schedule is not out yet but when we get back there it would be great to see some of the SteelCityterminators in attendance and on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercanary View Post
    Wow, this is the first thread in this section.
    I actually posted the second thread in this section the same day the board went down then when SCS came back up the thread was gone. Damn!